Shake.. not vibration

Dbarnhill

Ok guys, time to hunt down the very last driveability issue on my 93 before I start with some bolt ons. Since i've gotten the car it's always had about a 70+mph shake. It is NOT a vibration in the least bit, the whole car shakes when it gets to this speed. The shaking is not intermittent, it is steady, solid, and gets worse with increase in speed from 70+. Driving around town at 45-55 mph you can't even notice it,so it's definately speed related, but boy when you hit 70 on the interstate it is bad. Yesterday my buddy leaned his head out the passenger window and said my wheel was wobbling really bad. Of course we couldn't look at the driver side at 70 mph because I still had to drive it ;p If you guys have some of your knowledge you could pass down as far as things I should be inspecting for this type of behavior, would be much appreciated.

David

First let's go through the obvious.

1. Have you had the suspension inspected and if so is anything worn out? If so replace worn parts.

2. Are your wheels properly balanced? If so try rotating your tires. Does the issue get better, worse, or no change at all when the tires are rotated?

3. What is the condition of your engine mounts and transmission mount? Replace as required.

4. What is the condition of the IRS bushings? Replace as required.

5. What is the condition of the driveshaft? Are the u joints worn out? If so replace as required.

6. Does the vibration exist when coasting in neutral or only present in drive?

That's a good start. I would start with number 6, 1 and 2. After that the order doesn't much matter

Robert

First let's go through the obvious.

1. Have you had the suspension inspected and if so is anything worn out? If so replace worn parts.

2. Are your wheels properly balanced? If so try rotating your tires. Does the issue get better, worse, or no change at all when the tires are rotated?

3. What is the condition of your engine mounts and transmission mount? Replace as required.

4. What is the condition of the IRS bushings? Replace as required.

5. What is the condition of the driveshaft? Are the u joints worn out? If so replace as required.

6. Does the vibration exist when coasting in neutral or only present in drive?

That's a good start. I would start with number 6, 1 and 2. After that the order doesn't much matter

Robert

I did do the neutral test a couple weeks ago, and it is present just the same when in gear or in neutral.

I havent had any of the suspension checked yet, i was hoping id be able look and see if anything was obviously bad. Last time i. hecked i didnt notice much

The wheels have been rotated, and new tire balance shortly after pur hase of the car

How can i go about testing the u joints? First person i talked to suggested that might be the issue

Get the rear wheels up off the ground and run them up. Should be obvious where the problem is coming from.

Of course, be sure to chock the front wheels and support the rear on jack stands. Unless you have a couple of big mirrors, you'll probably need 2 people for this.

Yesterday my buddy leaned his head out the passenger window and said my wheel was wobbling really bad.

Suggest jacking that same wheel/tire off the ground and secure car with a jack stand, then try moving the wheel in-out and side to side with your hands to see if anything feels loose. Check to make sure the lug nuts are tight, rotate the wheel to see if it's running true or if the tire/wheel has visible run-out or other abnormalities which would indicate a bad tire or bent wheel. You may also want to look for signs that a balancing weight has fallen off.

David

Get the rear wheels up off the ground and run them up. Should be obvious where the problem is coming from.

I agree ... unless the problem is in the tire itself. Then it may only show up under load. Something like a shifted belt. Or a balance weight that flew off.

Could be a bad wheel bearing. But they usually make a lot of noise.

Back