installing new leather

bumpskier45

I am purchasing new leather for my sc, I can't really see how the rear seats come apart,and mine are not the kind that fold down either.the front I assume you have to remove the seats? need advice on anyone that has done this before,getting the leather from bill at supercoupe performance,and some of my foam or whatever they make that out of is missing from where the front seats was torn,just in the area of where it was torn,the rear seats are missing nothing.thanks in advance.

Look up hog rings and pliers, these are used to anchor the covers to the frame.

Find a youtube DIY.

This work is probably a 5-6 difficulty (1-10). Upholstry shop will charge you 3-500+ just for installation.

:)

Installing the new covers isn't too difficult. Just take your time. The front seat bolsters will have to be removed to uninstall the old seat covers and install the new ones. I recommend purchasing a good set of side cutters or hog ring cutters like these which I have.
http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_tool_hog_ring_cutter-106742-2981.html

You will also need a set of hog ring pliers and hog rings for installing the new covers.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=HH044KIT+01

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bryan

doesn't sound to bad,the back seats are the one's I am not sure how to remove,since they don't fold forward.

That's the easiest part of the whole process. Push the bottom cushion down and back and it will pop out of some clips near the front edge. Then just pull it out. Then I believe you will see a couple of bolts to remove that will free the rear seatback.

What Steve described for back seat removal should be correct.

What year is your SC? I was under the impression all leather SC rear seats were fold down. I thought it was part of the leather upgrade and the cloth seats didn't fold down unless you ordered it that way.

The front seat bolsters can be a bit of a problem to remove. I found the best way to remove them was to remove the two screws which attach them to the seat frame. To remove these screws, I used a pair of vice grips on the threaded portion which protruded through the seat frame and turned them out that way. With the bolster installed you can't get to the screw head and to release the bolster guides is a project. The manual explains how to release the bolster guide but in the real world it didn't work out. I just found it easier to remove the screw in the described backward fashion.

Also removing the headrest can be a challenge. Do not try to force them out without removing the retaining clip. If you force them you will break the plastic assembly as I did. This thread shows the plastic headrest retainer and spring clips which can be a real challenge.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119412

Good luck and let us know how it works out. If you need any questions answered, please ask. I still have my front seats disassembled and could snap a few pictures if you want.

Bryan

The front seat bolsters can be a bit of a problem to remove. I found the best way to remove them was to remove the two screws which attach them to the seat frame. To remove these screws, I used a pair of vice grips on the threaded portion which protruded through the seat frame and turned them out that way.
I used needle nose pliers. 1/8th turn at a time :rolleyes: But I eventually got the bolster frame off. Hurt like heck since I'd pinch my fingers trying to get the pliers set correctly.
Also removing the headrest can be a challenge. Do not try to force them out without removing the retaining clip. If you force them you will break the plastic assembly as I did. This thread shows the plastic headrest retainer and spring clips which can be a real challenge.
Feel around for the wire clips. They slide to the side and must come out in order to remove the headrest.

Feel around for the wire clips. They slide to the side and must come out in order to remove the headrest.

Remove the seat back from the seat bottom. Unzip the bottom of the seat back and reach all the way up to the headrest. Feel around for the little wire spring clips and remove them. Once both clips are removed, just pull the headrest up and out. If the plastic headrest retainers are broken, go to a pull-and-pay yard with a razor knife and start looking for any Ford with a similar headrest setup. This is what I did and now I have 9 good retainers :D

Bryan

Back