ABS Troubleshooting

1bad67cat

1990 SC. Started it up, and the ABS light stayed on, and had no brakes, stiff pedal. Shut down, and restarted, light stayed off, and brakes worked normal. Was this just a glitch, or a precursor to a problem down the road? all the brake stuff is factory, not modded in any way.

Assuming you can't find any leaks, you should check the relay (search here for the component locator to help id the relay) near the service tap, pass side engine compartment/firewall and think about replacing the accumulator.

Definitely check the relay first....

The di-electric grease that was used on the connection terminals may have dried out, causing an intermittent symptom....

All you have to do is clean the male and female sides of the connection...

A bad ignition switch can all cause this same problem....

ABS issues

So I have the stiff pedel problem and the brake and ABS lights are on. We re placed the ABS relay and the accumilator and still have the problem! any ideas?? I have the 1990 Thunderbird SC.

ABS issues

And dose any one know of a shop or person here in CA that can fix it?

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be either that pump motor or the pressure switch.....

With the ignition switch on, check for voltage at the pump motor connector.....

Sounds like either a realay or pressure switch if its any deeper of a problem than that I'd suggest converting to non abs it will save you money and head ache

The presure switch was bad and I couldnt find a replacement. Found a shop here local that is replacing the whole unit now and should be on the road soon!

Last edited:
Back