Source for shaft seal for Teves Mark II electric pump motor

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Has anyone found a suitable seal for the shaft seal on the electric pump motor for the Teves Mark II system on early sc's? I think I may need a replacement.

The actual pump was a replacement by the Ford dealer on my 89 (at the tune of about $2.5K circa 1999). The pump was removed from my 89 when it was totaled and just installed on my old 35th anniversary but there is a leak. All signs point to the shaft seal of the pump motor so I wanted to source that bloody seal.

If memory serves the Big-e knows a tone about our ABS systems. Reach out to him via a PM. He may have some advice for you.

If memory serves the Big-e knows a tone about our ABS systems. Reach out to him via a PM. He may have some advice for you.

Yeah, I read some of his posts and asked him about it too. He referred me to a write up that he believes was by Dave Nielbert about rebuilding the motor but I can't seem to find it.

I have one of my old spare pumps partially disassembled now, I'm hoping to get some info on that seal so I can change it on one or more units and keep them handy.

Any further help greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I read some of his posts and asked him about it too. He referred me to a write up that he believes was by Dave Nielbert about rebuilding the motor but I can't seem to find it.

I have one of my old spare pumps partially disassembled now, I'm hoping to get some info on that seal so I can change it on one or more units and keep them handy.

Any further help greatly appreciated.

I didn't post anything. Pretty sure it was Duffy that posted some technical stuff on the brake systems.

David

I didn't post anything. Pretty sure it was Duffy that posted some technical stuff on the brake systems.

David

Dang, now I'm doubting if it was you he mentioned :eek: , I knew I shouldn't have erased the messages in my inbox. Maybe he can chime in. He mentioned that the rebuild thread he was talking about included some part numbers for the seal. Although Duffy's article is a great explanation of how the system works, I don't think it covers actual rebuild procedure or part numbers.

On a side note, shame for me not to remembering the details of the article, if you scroll to the bottom of the document to the credits, I'm actually "SC Kido" :p ...well I was back when the article was written:D. That was my user name in the OLD days of the sccoa forum on "BBS" format. Duffy was kind enough to help me diagnose a faulty pressure switch after I spent about $2500 bux at the ford dealer for a new hydraulic unit which never fixed the original problem. I was able to provide him with some info and diagrams I got from the dealer after my car was "repaired".

It's a standard size oil seal, but the standard seal is not stocked in EPDM rubber. It is easy to get in nitrile rubber, but the brake fluid will destroy it.

I had a few custom made out of Teflon. Slightly different design, but it's working well for me. I may still have a spare. I can look for it if you want.

It's a standard size oil seal, but the standard seal is not stocked in EPDM rubber. It is easy to get in nitrile rubber, but the brake fluid will destroy it.

I had a few custom made out of Teflon. Slightly different design, but it's working well for me. I may still have a spare. I can look for it if you want.

yes please! You can PM me if you find the extra seal. Also, any info you have on the place that made your teflon ones would be awesome. Price, minimum order, etc. I have like 4 spare units and I'd like to start fiddling with the motors to see which I can rebuild.

By the way, what does EPDM stand for?

Ok, I will take a look at home and see if I can find the spare.

The place I bought them from is a custom seal maker in New Jersey. I think I bought 4 at a minimum price of like $12 each, or something like that. He basically ran them off as a favor to me because he found the project interesting. So he might make some more for us, but a bigger order size would be better.

EPDM is (I think) Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer ... a kind of synthetic rubber that resists polar solvents (ether, glycol, steam) really well, but is weak against non-polar solvents (oil, gasoline, etc.). Basically, the typical kind of rubber used in oil seals (nitrile / buna / NBR / SBR) is the opposite of what we need here.

Teflon is another option that seems to work well. In this case, it was a machined (cut) seal instead of a molded one. That explains some of the higher cost. It's harder than the EPDM seal, which may lead to increased shaft wear, but I think that is a long term problem if anything. I have been using the seal for about 18 months with no problems.

I found places that will make the proper size oil seal in EPDM. But the minimum order is 100 units. 100 units x $5 = $500 ... more than I wanted to invest without any buyers.

Last edited:
Back