Swapping in Front Lowering Springs Question

LIVipers

Okay, so now that the weather is getting warmer and school is over, i can start tackling some of the projects on my car. I have a set of Eibach lowering springs, new front tokico shocks, and new upper front shock mounts.

Everything I have read about installing lowering springs says the fronts need to be compressed, and then installed onto the shocks. I want to have these front shocks completely assembled so it can be just a simple swap.

Would i be able to just take the springs to a shop and tell them to compress them and fit them onto the shock? Or is there a special pressure rating to compress them to or a certain overall size they need to be? I would like to get this done asap and this is the only part that I am hesitant on

Tom

you might be able to rent a spring compressor from auto zone idk but I am doing this as well and and im sure u just need to compress down enough so you can clear enough room for your strut tower that's what I had did and works fine cause the shops already going to hit you for 60 plus doing alignment

My take? Get new isolators / mounts also, built them up complete, and have a local frame shop use their compressor. One in town wanted $20 each, which is pretty damn cheap for not having to fight them, IMO.

Especially since they're not quite square, but are something like 18 degrees off to make everything line up properly.

RwP

Ralph which isolators and mounts are you referring to? I thought the isolators were just in the rear...

You are spot on. Take them to a shop that has a branick brand of spring compressor. The clamshell style do not work well at all on our front springs and neither do the jaw style. The issue is our coils are very close together and do not lend themselves well to the run of the mill compressors. Branick are the only style I have had any luck with on our cars.

As for the rear springs. Get the rear of the car as high as you can and disconnect the lower a arm from the bottom of the knuckle. You should be able to push the lower control arm down far enough to get the springs out without a compressor. Since you are using lowering springs you'll have no trouble getting the new rear springs in. As for the rear spring isolators. I would take the opportunity to replace them. The trick I use in order to keep the isolator in place when installing the springs is to use electrical tape to secure the isolator to the spring. Use the tape every 90 degrees around the spring.

Last edited:
I have the rear isolators, and I'm picking up some Mark VIII LCA's and i have all new bushings for the front and rear of the car. I figure while i have it apart that i might as well do everything at once. No sense in getting an alignment twice haha

Ralph which isolators and mounts are you referring to? I thought the isolators were just in the rear...

The upper shock mount and the lower spring mount (links are to RockAuto's listing for each).

That way, you end up with what amounts to a "quick strut" kit (yes, I know, it's not a MacPherson strut. That's the name given to the generic coilover kits by the same marketters that years ago named the hydraulic units "shock absorbers" when they don't absorb a single shock, but are dampeners ... )

RwP

So Ralph those will work with the ARC shocks on a 94 Super Coupe? The reason why i ask is because it says "Except auto adjusting suspension". I dont know if our ARC is considered that or not. The upper mounts i have already, assuming they are the same ones that bill sells. The lower ones i do not have. I'll have to order them ASAP

Ah, so you're keeping the ARC. No, those aren't quite big enough inside.

Hopefully your old ones are good enough for the lower spring seats.

If not, maybe the frame shop will have something.

But yah, while in there, get those replaced ALSO so that you don't have them rattling around. It's sickening to spend that kind of money ... and STILL have "CLUNK THUNK RATTLE" as you go down the road! :mad::mad:

RwP

So it's safe to assume the lower spring seats for the front are no longer available for purchase? The tokico's i got came with a rubber seat that goes over the lower stop on the shock. Is this what you're referring to? Or is it an external seat that gets slipped over the shock

So it's safe to assume the lower spring seats for the front are no longer available for purchase? The tokico's i got came with a rubber seat that goes over the lower stop on the shock. Is this what you're referring to? Or is it an external seat that gets slipped over the shock

You should only need the upper mounting plate and coil spring in addition to what came with your tokico's. The rubber insulator they come with are perfect.

You should only need the upper mounting plate and coil spring in addition to what came with your tokico's. The rubber insulator they come with are perfect.

Awesome Rob, thanks for all your help.

Ralph, thank you for all your help as well

You guys are great

Tom

First time I ever replaced my front shocks, I used the spring tool and from the experience I can say simply.. Don't waste your time with spring compressors.

A simpler, faster, and SAFER method, is to use a floor jack under the lower control arm to release the energy in the spring. Raise the front, place your jack stands as needed. Then loosen the shock bushing bolt, loosen the upper arm spindle bolt. Then place the floor jack under the lower arm and raise it up 1" or so. Then remove the nut on the top and slowly lower the control arm. remove the spindle bolt and knock the upper arm up and out of the way, remove the shock lower bolt and take the whole shock out. You'll probably need to unbolt the sway bar link.

Last edited:
Oh Carlisle! Lol. No I know about that, but unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year. My dad has a business trip that week/weekend and he won't let me make the drive up there myself. Hopefully next year i'll be there, I'm getting everything restored and looking like factory fresh little by little

The reason why I said maple grove is because I know on August they hold the all ford's drag racing (similar to super Chevy weekend)

Back