"Super" door hinge anyone?

Peterdroy66

Well most of us here have enjoyed these cars for many years, and as a result ar pretty familiar with changing door hinge bushings :( !

I Am wondering if anyone has made a super hinge that will never need replacement bushings?

Maybe a tube for the pin with a grease fitting, or small ball bearings, or needle bearings???

Pete

Not that I know of but that's a pretty good idea. Maybe even use some bushings that are teflon coated or something...

What I have found is that the bushings are much easier to change the second time ... mostly because the pins come out without cutting! So I don't see it as a huge chore anymore. The replacements seem to last a decent while as well, at least in my experience. Are they failing quickly for you? The holes in your actual hinge bracket may be worn oversize if that is the case.

What I would like is a cheaper door striker bushing. I don't need to buy the whole bolt ... just the bushing!

Someone here, or on TCCoA, was making them out of a .. PVC, IIRC ... pipe.

(Not the ones you buy at Home Depot / Lowe's, now!)

Here ... http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119004

RwP

Yes ... I tried to take advantage of it, but they disappeared in the mail. That happened to more than one person. I guess the shape of the items didn't get along with the mail sorting machine. I believe that fella hasn't been active here in a while.

I browsed McMaster and the like for an easy substitute. I don't have the exact measurements in front of me, but I believe that it's a non-standard size on the ID. So you might need to machine inside and outside.

If you guys are talking about the striker pins, I'll just chime in here and note that What I do is cut a strip of plastic from a milk jug, wrap it around the post 1 or 2 times, and then zip tie it in place at the far edges. Not perfect, but holds up OK and works better than the Dorman pieces, which don't fit correctly anyway. :cool:

Complete Lower Hinge ...

I searched around the Internet last Sept. and found a brand new unpainted Ford MN-12 lower door hinge for $35.78 including shipping. I kept the worn out hinge and will put a pin kit in that puppy for later use.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 automatic SC stock

Back