Slow progress

kenewagner

Well I am slowly gaining under the hood. Sent the fuel rails and misc pieces out to be red anodize. I shot the engine panels this weekend with a red base coat to see how things look. Not happy with the smoothness of the panels so they will have to be block sanded to get them right and reshot. I got carried away and redid the fire wall. It looks much better totally flat and smooth. A few more hoses to hook up and the PCV system is done. Fuel system is done. Gotta finish the alternator bracket, mount the DIS module and coil block, and than a bunch of wiring changes. Still have a few bling tricks to do. Bit off a lot more than I thought this time and it will cost me in time. Hope to be done in July and dyno it

Ken

Attachments

• new 4.JPG
    new 4.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 288
Just about finished installing the dual oil pumps & lines. There is a real nice wiring harness that made the wiring part easy. I still have to run wiring for the pump alarms yet. They go off if a pump fails to be sure nothing goes boom. Got the radiator back from the chrome shop. Just had it polished, it wasnt up to specs there:rolleyes: Hope to wrap up everything under the car by the weekend. Last major thing is some wiring changes to accomodate the relocating of the alternator, and a few sensors. A new upper radiator tube to fabricate & install. Should be ready to start in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• oil pumps.JPG
    oil pumps.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 139
  • oil pumps 1.JPG
    oil pumps 1.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 131
Very impressive work Ken.

I'm confused about the oil pumps. Normally a rear mount turbo gets engine oil that is under pressure from the area on the front of the block where the oil pressure sender is located, and a scavenge pump would be used to return the oil to the motor usually into the valve cover. But the pressure switch I see in the picture wouldn't work on them because it is a low pressure return line.

Are you using a separate oil supply and using the pumps to provide oil pressure to each of the turbos ?

David

You are correct about the oil pressure line from the engine it goes back to the turbos and splits into 2 lines, one for each turbo. From the bottom the pumps scavenge the oil and push it back up to the valve cover. The pressure switch is a low pressure switch, 3 to 8 psi max. I would think it would be on the return side of the pump and not between the turbo and the pump (suction side). I enclosed a picture from the STS manual that I went by showing that the sensor is before the pump not after like I thought it should be. I am going to ask the tech guy about that one

Ken

Attachments

• pump picture.JPG
    pump picture.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 100
Looks like it is really coming together Ken.

Your transition to the dark side is almost complete.

Very impressive work Ken.

I'm confused about the oil pumps. Normally a rear mount turbo gets engine oil that is under pressure from the area on the front of the block where the oil pressure sender is located, and a scavenge pump would be used to return the oil to the motor usually into the valve cover. But the pressure switch I see in the picture wouldn't work on them because it is a low pressure return line.

Are you using a separate oil supply and using the pumps to provide oil pressure to each of the turbos ?

David

Got an explaination on how the pressure switch works. If a pump fails it becomes a restriction in the oil return system and the pressure will spike as engine pressure is being forced through the turbo and out to the pump who gears are not turning. The pressure switch senses that spike in pressure and sounds an alarm in the cockpit. While the pump is pulling oil out from the turbo there is little or no pressure. If at high boost some pressure bleed past seals and into the oil line, it can cause the alarm to go off. Thats why it can be adjusted to a higher psi to eliminate that as a concern The whole thing is just a safety feature

Ken

Got an explaination on how the pressure switch works. If a pump fails it becomes a restriction in the oil return system and the pressure will spike as engine pressure is being forced through the turbo and out to the pump who gears are not turning. The pressure switch senses that spike in pressure and sounds an alarm in the cockpit. While the pump is pulling oil out from the turbo there is little or no pressure. If at high boost some pressure bleed past seals and into the oil line, it can cause the alarm to go off. Thats why it can be adjusted to a higher psi to eliminate that as a concern The whole thing is just a safety feature

Ken

Okay, that makes more sense. Just not sure it will actually work, because the oil seals in the center housing will typically leak into the turbine housing if there is any resistance on the oil drain line. Just having a small dip/low spot on my 10AN gravity drain hose back to the oil pan was enough to cause oil to leak past the seal and into the turbine housing creating a ton of white/blue smoke out of the exhaust pipes. Shortening the hose 1.5" to remove the low spot was all it took to correct the problem. I guess what I'm saying is the oil seal will likely allow leakage into the exhaust housing and start the smoke show, well before it ever built up enough pressure to trip the alarm.

David

Well everything under the car is about wrapped up. I wired the pump for the water to air IC, the oil pump alarms, the dump valve for the water tank. Finished the hoses for the boost controller. Still have some wiring on the boost controller but that is all in my console. Sent the upper radiator tube to the plating shop to have chrome. Still have wiring under the hood to rerun, prime the oil system, install the coil pack and wires. Download a start up tune. I will try to get it to the dyno as soon as possible as even after tuning there are things need to be done to get it ready for the shootout. Here is a picture of the twins.

Ken

Attachments

• Turbos & hoses.JPG
    Turbos & hoses.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 117
Back