Hood latch lock?

Rezid

Will a hood latch lock from a 96 mustang work on my 94 t bird. Mine is broken and found a new one from a 96 mustang on eBay that looks very similar. Can anyone confirm this before I purchase?

If there is a part number stamped into the latch you may be able to see if they are the same part number. You could always go to yoru local Ford dealer and see if the person working the parts counter will have mercy on you and cross referecen them to see if they are the same part number.

I went to the ford parts website and the part number is 16700. I then went to eBay and entered the part # and that's when the hood latch popped up for a 96 mustang that looked identical to ours. So I'm going to assume there the same.

careful. If you went to the Ford website many parts will appear to be identical to another part but aren't. The reason being the first characters in a Ford Part number indicate the year the part was produce for example F4 would mean 1994, or E8, would be 1988, F9 would be 1999, etc. Then the next set of numbers indicates the type of part. So the next set of numbers 16700 could simply point to a part being a hood latch. Now comes the issue. The Ford online parts tool doesn't show the last set of characters.

For example. Look up lower door hinges for a 1994 Thunderbrid. The online parts catlog doesn;t indicates which is right and which is left. The online catalog points this out in the description but if you simply went by the part number you would think they are the same Part number, when in actuality one side ends in an "A" and the other ends in "AA" but you don't see this on their site.

At any rate be careful in relying only on the Ford online parts site as that site ommits the last set of charceters from the part numbers.

If you need one, let me know - one of the local "cycle" yards is having their "All you can haul off for $100!" sale, and they have three MN12's there. I can grab a hood latch for you - would probably be about $20 after I pack it up and ship it.

RwP

Back