10% OD question

archerman0531

Ok, I replaced the snout seal in my sc and my pulley got bent up from the puller, I have a 10% OD pulley, is that ok to use?
It's a 90 5 speed. All stock. I just use it as a DD not looking for high HP/TQ. It's my only car and just need a car to drive, but I don't want to hurt it.

Any input is great! Thanks

^^^^^^

I second that.

Also, with as many modified SC's with OD pulleys on them there are running around it should be fairly easy to find a stock replacement. Just my $0.02.

But again so long as you don't drive in boost it shouldn't make a difference. You just have to try and fight the boost addiction

But again so long as you don't drive in boost it shouldn't make a difference. You just have to try and fight the boost addiction

Kinda makes since, but just to be sure I'm understanding correctly, with an OD pulley on and no boost being made, it would be ok? My car doesn't create over 10psi at 4200 rpm and I never get it higher than 4200 rpm.
With that being said of I limit how much boost it creates, it would be ok to install and use?

An overdrive pulley spins the supercharger faster while in boost, thus generating more heat, leading to potential detonation. However, if driving in vacuum/very little boost, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in IAT, so you should be fine.

At only 10 psi of boost, he is already below the factory 12-14 psi so an added 10% won't give him much. I drove mine with no upgrades except 10% pulley and underdrives for 2 years. I had 13 lbs of boost to start too.

Keep in mind in addition to potential mis-detonation, you also risk losing HP. The EEC will pull ignition timing when the IAT rises or if the knock sensor picks up mis-detonation.

So albeit you could probably get away without damaging your engine running a 10% OD on your SC with a stock intercooler, you are however probably hurting performance. Just sayin' Just because that boost gauge is indicating higher boost doesn't necessarily mean you are seeing HP increases. What you are trying to gain with higher boost levels is being offset with higher IAT's and the EEC pulling timing. Just sayin'

At minimum you should run a Double IC from Ken Wagner if running 10% on an otherweise stock SC.

Robert

Ok, thanks. Like before tho, Im not trying to get more power or anything out if it...yet(just getting married is kinda hard on the wallet)I just need it to drive around in and eventually I'll be slowly upgrading it. Exhaust first since I don't like the sound of it.

Kinda makes since, but just to be sure I'm understanding correctly, with an OD pulley on and no boost being made, it would be ok? My car doesn't create over 10psi at 4200 rpm and I never get it higher than 4200 rpm.
With that being said of I limit how much boost it creates, it would be ok to install and use?

I wouldn't be concerned about using the 10% pulley, given what you stated above. Back in the early 2000s it was pretty common to have a 10% pulley on a stock SC.

David

They have a used stock pulley for sale onlne at supercoupe performance. Look at the used garage sale section. I don't know how much they want for it but they usuly ship out the next day. Or same day if u get to them early.

Back