cracked dash

plenum

Anyone have any Idea about how to fix a cracked dash? I have 2 big cracks. color is midnight blue. Is there a product? Without replacing.

I have used this solution on other vehicles in the past. It is a hard plastic skin molded to the shape of you dash. You put some silicone on your existing dashboard and glue this unit down directly on top of the existing dash board. They typically fit very well and it is a great alternative to replacing the dashboard and it looks way better than those carpeted dash covers.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/dashtop-cover/p2023832.jcwx?filterid=d667y1993g309j1

Btw I only selected the model year 93 as an example. They have an online configuration where you select the year, model, color, etc.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/dashtop-cover/p2023832.jcwx

I have used this solution on other vehicles in the past. It is a hard plastic skin molded to the shape of you dash. You put some silicone on your existing dashboard and glue this unit down directly on top of the existing dash board. They typically fit very well and it is a great alternative to replacing the dashboard and it looks way better than those carpeted dash covers.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/dashtop-cover/p2023832.jcwx?filterid=d667y1993g309j1

Btw I only selected the model year 93 as an example. They have an online configuration where you select the year, model, color, etc.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/dashtop-cover/p2023832.jcwx

so you have used these on other vehicles just not a SC yet? I have a crack in my 35th dash that has the "tissue" container on top of it. I have a spare black dash with zero cracks but I really don't want to give up the original style dash that was in the 35th. I may have to give this a whirl and if it doesn't work out I can always change to my spare.:eek:

so you have used these on other vehicles just not a SC yet? I have a crack in my 35th dash that has the "tissue" container on top of it. I have a spare black dash with zero cracks but I really don't want to give up the original style dash that was in the 35th. I may have to give this a whirl and if it doesn't work out I can always change to my spare.:eek:

I have used this solution on a number of different vehicles. When I was a kid I used them often on 1971-73 Mach 1's as i had a love affair with those cars for a very long time. I also used this on a 1985 Turbo Coupe I had as a young kid. it worked well on all of those applicaitons. I had to trim a few areas with an exacto blade. The beautiful thing about this soluiton is that you can test fit it as often as you like before you use the silicone to adhere it to the dash surface. Once ou have it all squared away then glue it on so to speak.

I am not certain if the overlay makes accomodations for the tissue container on the top of the dash.

I have used this solution on a number of different vehicles. When I was a kid I used them often on 1971-73 Mach 1's as i had a love affair with those cars for a very long time. I also used this on a 1985 Turbo Coupe I had as a young kid. it worked well on all of those applicaitons. I had to trim a few areas with an exacto blade. The beautiful thing about this soluiton is that you can test fit it as often as you like before you use the silicone to adhere it to the dash surface. Once ou have it all squared away then glue it on so to speak.

I am not certain if the overlay makes accomodations for the tissue container on the top of the dash.

This CAP actually appears to have the accommodation for the tissue box. May be worth a try before I take my whole dash out. If it works I may have a uncracked dash for sale soon.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/accu-form-dash-cap/p2008185.jcwx?skuId=1248658&filterid=d667y1993g309

I believe you are correct. The application guide lists a different part for an LX and I am certain that is probably the only difference between the LX and SC.

Dr. Vinyl

I used a Dr. Vinyl. Got a dash top with the hold for the tissue box opening. $200 for the cover, mixing and applying paint to match the interior and installation.

But, be careful. The first Dr. Vinyl franchise I went to in an attempt to fix the cracks drove the car into a workbench, bashing the passenger door so badly the window would not go up or down. The place gave me the run around about not knowing if he had insurance to repair the damage and tried to steer me to "his" body shop. Fortunately the people at the Dr. Vinyl home office (in Kansas City?) were very reasonable and made good on the damage. They sent a check and I sent the car to my body shop.

I used a different Dr. Vinyl for the dash cover. The guy did an excellent job.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 automatic SC stock

I am trying a dash pad LTD edition with a flaming skull. The style I picked is a new type that is more modern. My 90 XR7 has a light sensor and slide tray without climate control. PN 60285-01-25, $86.
;)

I have never installed one of the dash pad covers on these cars, but I have seen a couple cars with it installed, and it looked like complete garbage. I have installed similar covers on dashboards on older cars, which came out looking pretty good, but for our cars I would reccomend against getting one of those covers. If your dash only has minor cracks, I would suggest looking up someone that does leather repair and they should be able to fix it. If it has major cracks, I would say look for one in better shape to swap in.

Ive never really liked the caps, so I try to find a replacement dash. However for a small hairline crack, I've also just taken a thin strip of vinyl, pulled the fabric off the back, and glued it in place. Thin smooth layer of vinyl adhesive.. bumps in the glue are bad. You can see the patch, but it doesn't look too bad. A lot better than looking at a crack which is growing, drying out and curling up. :rolleyes:

Had? My first car was a 72 quench head 351C hard top. Still have it. Soon to be a 408 stroker.

A guy I worked with years ago had a friend who could repair a crack so well you could never even know it was there when he was done.

After getting my old cracked dash out, I can say - it's very thin foam over a metal base. Given that, there's instructions on the Internet on how to peal the foam off, refoam it, and glue new vinyl onto it.

I'd do it with a spare dash, however, and ideally one that's already prewired to match your car (I managed to crack my "new" vinyl dash while shifting it around to move the wiring over from the 1991 XR7 to the unwired dash ... Curses! But at least it's not puckered and cratered, so it'll be easy to cap now.)

RwP

After getting my old cracked dash out, I can say - it's very thin foam over a metal base. Given that, there's instructions on the Internet on how to peal the foam off, refoam it, and glue new vinyl onto it.
Even worse its very thin vinyl which is one reason they're so suceptible to cracking.

(I managed to crack my "new" vinyl dash while shifting it around to move the wiring over from the 1991 XR7 to the unwired dash ... Curses! But at least it's not puckered and cratered, so it'll be easy to cap now.)

RwP
I did the same thing.. I refurbish every dash by sanding and priming the metal to get rid of the rusty smell. I was sanding the rust off and pushed on it just a bit and got a small split. Arrrggg..
Thats one Im going to overlay with a thin strip of vinyl and be done with it.. before it spreads and curls. The dash wasn't new but it was really good. The dash it replaced had vinyl so baked and dried out that it was brittle as a potato chip. :rolleyes: Huge improvement. :cool:

Back