PDA

View Full Version : PBR Front Calipers, SCU Caliper Relocation kit & rear Cobra rotor upgrade

TSC89
05-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Back in 2008 I did the Mark VIII spindle and brake upgrade to the blue 90 5-speed I have.
A couple of weeks ago I came across a 99 Mustang GT in the yards with a clean set of PBR dual piston calipers still on it.
After some wrenching and a good price I had them at home, cleaned up and ready to go.
Then I went out and picked up a set of drilled and slotted rotors late last week to complete the set up.

Today I was able to get everything changed out. While not as big as the set up "Big Daddy" Duane has they work really well.

Kurt K
05-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Great find and nice work.

Nettlesd
05-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Whoa, Jim's alive. I've tried calling you several times but can't get you. Maybe there's a reason for that. :p

Give me a call. Not sure if you received my emails or not.

Thunder95
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Good looking paint job on those calipers, what did you use? Great work as always!

TSC89
06-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Good looking paint job on those calipers, what did you use? Great work as always!

Thanks Joel. I used Dupli-Color Ceramic Engine Enamel for the calipers and the mounts.

eli66048
06-13-2013, 03:29 AM
great find and install Jim!

manuelaguilar1
06-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Back in 2008 I did the Mark VIII spindle and brake upgrade to the blue 90 5-speed I have.
A couple of weeks ago I came across a 99 Mustang GT in the yards with a clean set of PBR dual piston calipers still on it.
After some wrenching and a good price I had them at home, cleaned up and ready to go.
Then I went out and picked up a set of drilled and slotted rotors late last week to complete the set up.

Today I was able to get everything changed out. While not as big as the set up "Big Daddy" Duane has they work really well.

very nice job question? are u use the same hose brakes? for this PBR calipers

TSC89
06-13-2013, 06:11 PM
very nice job question? are u use the same hose brakes? for this PBR calipers

I replaced the factory brake lines with the Classic Tube Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines from the group buy several years ago.

I sent you a PM with the link to the "How To" write up I used when I did this.

TSC89
11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I decided to go ahead and upgrade the rear brakes.
I picked up a set of David Dalke's Super Coupe Unlimited rear brake caliper relocation brackets before the Shootout and I today I ordered my new rear Cobra rotors.
Once they arrive I will be getting them drilled for the Thunderbird lug pattern.

fast Ed
11-19-2013, 09:55 PM
You realize that the rear Cobra brakes will be larger than your front GT brakes?

cheers
Ed

TSC89
08-21-2014, 06:22 PM
More work completed over the last 2 days.
The new cobra rotor, SCU caliper relocation bracket, caliper and ceramic brake pads are installed on the rear passenger side and the drivers side is almost finished.

Nettlesd
08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
More work completed over the last 2 days.

You actually do work? :)

Not sure if I like the blue on the rotor. Maybe black.

TSC89
05-28-2017, 10:29 PM
I acquired a set of cobra calipers and rotors to finish the brake upgrades.
This will correct my front GT /rear Cobra brake rotor size mismatch.

Just for you Duane, black on the rotors.

davec73
05-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Looks great!

Nettlesd
05-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Much better. Now, sand and paint the "Cobra" lettering black and you will have my approval.

Good grief! I know I'm bad on working on cars but it took you 4 years to change out a brake caliper and rotor. Does it take another 4 years to do the other side? I suppose I need to check this post in another 4 years.

TSC89
05-30-2017, 03:41 PM
Much better. Now, sand and paint the "Cobra" lettering black and you will have my approval.

Good grief! I know I'm bad on working on cars but it took you 4 years to change out a brake caliper and rotor. Does it take another 4 years to do the other side? I suppose I need to check this post in another 4 years.

Both calipers and rotors have been changed out :p and no, the letters are being painted silver.

Now that all the SC guys around here have moved or quit the SC except for Travis, I can work on my own stuff.

I seem to remember a SRT Ram with a tensioner pulley and a Ford Lightning with a bad front ABS sensor that are still waiting to be fixed.

Nettlesd
05-30-2017, 05:20 PM
I seem to remember a SRT Ram with a tensioner pulley and a Ford Lightning with a bad front ABS sensor that are still waiting to be fixed.

Well, I still have 3 more years to change those parts out.

Speaking on working on other people's vehicles. When are you coming up? I bought more junk for the Lightning that I need to swap out. You know you want to help. :)