Exhaust leaks wi Kooks Midlength headers

SonySC

My SC started having exhaust leaks so bad the Smog Station refused to test it.
I had used FelPro 91646 gaskets and Stage8 header bolts.
Per my muffler shop's reccomendation I had the header flanges surface ground and have ordered RemFlex #3044 3000 degree gaskets.
My question is should there be some kind of conical gasket on the header outlet bell? Manufacturer/part number?

I used RemFlex dead soft header gaskets with great success for the flanges. As for the ball and socket connection, you might be able to get a temporary seal with some high-temp silicone. I gave up on the ball and socket connection and replaced them with v-band connections.

Where everyone always assumes that the flange is leaking or the ball end of the headers. I found that when I installed a set of theses same headers I had a massive leak. Took them off and installed V bands and doubled up on exhaust gaskets and still a bad leak. Removed them a second time and made up a blank flange and pressured them up with air. The passenger side leaked between the tubes where they went into the collector, really bad. Im not impressed with their quality. I welded that area up solid and it never leaked again. I am willing to bet there are other mid lengths headers that have the same problem

Ken

The only place I had any leaks with my mid length Kooks headers was the crappy ball and flange connection. I think the ball on the header gets deformed from engine movement. I did some repair work on mine several times, but just about every time I raced the car, they would start leaking again. That was actually one of the reasons I switched to long tube headers.

If doing it over, I would go with stainless mid length and a v-band connection.

David

I hear what you guys are saying, I did V bands as well. But unless you actually add pressure to the headers, off the car and check none of you know if your headers leak between the tubes at the collector.

Ken

Back