Help with headlamp issue

90turbo1

So I have a problem that I cannot track down. When I drive my SC (1992 5 speed) everything is ok. But when I turn the lights on, I get a constant ding-ding-ding-ding like the door is open or the lights are left on with key off.

I dont know, any ideas. could the ignition switch cause this. I really dont wana just pull the "dinger" like a co-worker told me to do, because I do like the fact it dings when headlamps are left on or door is opened.

any info would be appreciated

Have you tried to move the key from one end of the "run" position to the other to see if it will stop? Maybe wiggle it a little too ?? If it stops you have a bad ignition switch. I know mine will do it sometimes after I've pulled the key out because it doesn't always center on the "off" position and thinks the key is still in :confused:

Have you tried to move the key from one end of the "run" position to the other to see if it will stop? Maybe wiggle it a little too ?? If it stops you have a bad ignition switch. I know mine will do it sometimes after I've pulled the key out because it doesn't always center on the "off" position and thinks the key is still in :confused:

well tried that, the ignition tumbler is new. tonight I put a new ignition switch in and tested, still get the ding-ding-ding when headlamps are on.

anyone have a wiring diagram for the chime in the car?

also I have a drivers seat belt that doesnt lock into the rear most position could this be the problem. I am truly at a loss here.. and its driving me nuts.

I unplugged the motor for the seatbelts and manually cranked them back when I was having issues every couple months with the limiter switch. Chime is behind the glovebox if I recall and you can unplug it.

I don't think the seat belts will cause a chime. Or if they do it's only for a few seconds when first started.

I'm thinking the only two things that trip that chime are the light switch and the door jamb switchs for the courtesy lights.

I don't have a diagram.
If yours is only going off with the engine running and when the lights are turned on there has to be a problem in the wiring and tracking down the diagram would be the best thing.

Did it do this with the old tumbler ??

I actually figured it out, there is a single wire going to the ignition tumbler. When the key is placed in run it supplies a ground. The light circuit looks for this to determine of the key is on or not. Well for some reason the tumbler is not making this contact. So no ground. When you turn lights on the chime goes off as if the ignition was not turned on or as if you left the lights on with out key in ignition.

Now tomorrow I need to figure out the problem with tumbler. And yes to answer the question it did this with old tumbler also. But that is not why tumbler was removed.

One more question, my car has a wheel like switch next to the headlamp switch marked "auto headlamps". It appears to do nothing. Can some one clue me in on this or did some one install a bogus switch.

There were single and double thumbwheel switches, but not all cars had either.

It was factory installed there should also be a 'eye' in the upper dash surface that senses outside light, acting to turn on the headlights automatically if the thumbwheel is rotated from off to your choice of delay for shutoff. The headlights are left off, the thumbwheel is rotated and you choose how long they remain on after the key is turned to off.

You can pull the dash cluster bezel to see if it is connected. If not, and there is no eye in the dash, perhaps the bezel was replaced with one that came with that switch.

See this thread for details: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131240&highlight=eye

There were single and double thumbwheel switches, but not all cars had either.

It was factory installed there should also be a 'eye' in the upper dash surface that senses outside light, acting to turn on the headlights automatically if the thumbwheel is rotated from off to your choice of delay for shutoff. The headlights are left off, the thumbwheel is rotated and you choose how long they remain on after the key is turned to off.

You can pull the dash cluster bezel to see if it is connected. If not, and there is no eye in the dash, perhaps the bezel was replaced with one that came with that switch.

See this thread for details: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131240&highlight=eye

well I have no "eye" on dash, I do have the auto dimming mirror? I will pull the dash thing and check but I bet its not hooked up.

Back