Griffin radiator repair

90sc35thann

One of the last things I need to do before heading to Carlisle was repair a pin hole leak in the top tank of my griffin radiator. I was contemplating removing the radiator and have it tig welded. Then I read about aluminum solder as a repair solution. My final solution was let's say unique. I cut a rectangular piece from an old aluminum license plate. I shaped it to the to the top radiator tank then affixed it to the tank via JB Weld. So I patched it so to speak and let it set up and cure for 18 hours. It turned out well, no more leak, and it isn't bad looking at all.

It was the strangest leak. It wasn't on a seam and was dead smack in the middle of the top tank. It almost looked as if it started to corrode from the inside out.

Carlisle here I come. :)

I am not certain. I bought it used. It appears to be new inside. It definitely appears to be a defect of some kind.

just use the epoxy right on the tank. I use the metal putty stuff, just cut a sliver mold it in your hand and scuff up the tank and squash it in. I have repaired radiators, auto trany pans, oil pans with that tuff and many repairs going on over 10 years not a single failure.

No, I think its called steel putty. They sell it at wallmart also but comes in a plastic tube. jb weld shrinks to much and I have not had much luck with it.

U can use tin solder, clean the spot first

With s.s. Wire brush ,,,,no steel use battery acid for flux..... No paste will work.... Must be acid using a hi temp iron not flame , rub as u heat with tip or chrome screw diver 2 roughen up spot.... It it,ll stick just like when u pre tin copper pipe .......radiator must b empty as the coolant will keep heat from staying ....at spot :d

Back