Fan question...yes, I searched. :)

Beerdog80

My puller fan isn't working when it should all of a sudden...which in Oklahoma can mean big problems real quick.

I unplugged the ECT sensor to see if the fan would kick on and here is the catch...sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. A couple of times the fan ran for about 5-10 seconds, and then shut off. I've searched/read a ton of threads concerning the ICRM/wire 14/17 tricks etc etc.

With the ECT sensor plugged in as normal and the AC on, at times the fan kicks on low but it will NOT kick on high, no matter what temp the car is at.

The pusher fan works normally.

My question is, with the puller fan not working as intended, is this indicative of the ICRM dying, the fan itself? I'm half temped to yank them both and use my MarkVIII fan I have sitting around gathering dust.

If it matters, I have a Griffin rad .

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing...I measured 14v across the high speed fan when it was on. Is that too high?

No. That's just how much voltage is available. It should be very close to your alternator output voltage.

Sounds like a relay problem within the IRCM. Have you tried grounding out the IRCM trigger wires to manually activate the fan relays?

Have you tried running a fused jumper wire to the fan motor?

No. That's just how much voltage is available. It should be very close to your alternator output voltage.

Cool. Thanks.

Sounds like a relay problem within the IRCM. Have you tried grounding out the IRCM trigger wires to manually activate the fan relays?

Not yet. Thats just wires 14 and 17 correct or is there another one? All fuses also checked out as well.

Have you tried running a fused jumper wire to the fan motor?

Yep, seemed to run just fine on both speeds.

Last edited:
Alright, grounded 14 and 17. 17 worked just fine. 14. Zilch... No power according to my DMM either.

You break the connection on #14 to turn on low speed, and you supply 12 volts to #17 to turn on high speed.

Here is a diagram for controlling high and low speed fan settings with dual manual controllers (back before we had chips and tuners)

David

Attachments

• fan%20relays.jpg
    fan%20relays.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 241
You break the connection on #14 to turn on low speed, and you supply 12 volts to #17 to turn on high speed.

Here is a diagram for controlling high and low speed fan settings with dual manual controllers (back before we had chips and tuners)

David

Manually grounding 14 wouldn't cause the relay to trigger?

I think it's already grounded, and you have to break the connection and un-ground it to start low speed fan.

David

Ah. Well, doesn't matter anyways. Seems the low speed is shot. I manually wired the fan (with fuse) direct to 12v main and the high speed kicked right on, low did not do a thing.

Plugged it all back in and the low does not come on when the AC is on (nor does high) but the high kicks on the second I remove the ECT. It does try to move with the AC on but it's obviously not moving fast at all.

Now, I'm left with a quandary. Do I replace the stock motor or do I just use the Mark fan I have sitting here, wired up with this:
relayconfig.jpg

I'd just buy a used fan from someone on here that is parting out a car, or replace the fan motor.

David

Where's the best place to get a replacement motor? I'm in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma (Altus) so my local options are limited to Napa and O'Riley.

Back