water line/break line

supmarjo

hi everyone, i got a chance at picking up a SC 1990...
the owner says
"The brakes went bad after a very well known mechanic put a water hose in where a brake
line hose should have been and it blew out due to corrosion"

my question here is how bad... meaning can a shade tree mechanic (me:))
fix it with out to much money$$$?

car has 82k red in color..asking $1700... i had a 85 turbo coupe,back in the day and looking
to get back into a Tbird .....i like the 85 body stye but the SC is looking better

im pretty sure all water lines to pump are big and could not be mistaken for brake line I would say if you have brake fluid in your engine cant be good I would think that would take a lot of flushing or polishing either way not a quick deal I would look at the car and the lines to get a better grasp on what your dealing with follow lines see where they lead you but I am not an expert there are a lot better guys on here hopefuly one responds to you

yes ,thanks for replying.
thats what i though a brake line and water line...small line vs big line,should be very different....it would seam impossible!

ill look at it tomorrow Thnks

"The brakes went bad after a very well known mechanic put a water hose in where a brake line hose should have been and it blew out due to corrosion"

my question here is how bad... meaning can a shade tree mechanic (me:))
fix it with out to much money$$$?
If its what I think, the only rubber hose is the reservoir supply hose. Find some brake fluid suitable hose (perhaps fuel line or power steering hose) to replace it. Other than that, there shouldn't be anything wrong with the Teves unit. Its something you can fix very easily.

Last edited:
If its what I think, the only rubber hose is the reservoir supply hose. Find some brake fluid suitable hose (perhaps fuel line or power steering hose) to replace it. Other than that, there shouldn't be anything wrong with the Teves unit. Its something you can fix very easily.

Maybe the seller was talking about one of the brake hoses that connect to the caliper being replaced with something that was intended for use with water :confused:

If that's the case I'd be very concerned about what else was rigged up on the car.

David

Same here. The term corrosion makes me think it wasn't a pressure line. A real brake line would go quick.. like within 1 push of the brake pedal. :eek: The Teves unit has that hose on the underside, that isn't even clamped on, for the supply to the pump. That hose could be replaced with whatever was lying around that would fit and have no problems for months. Sounds like an easy mistake to make for a novice mechanic.

Ok.. This is what I found out about the break line ...
I attached pic..
Still no sure why it would " explode" . Owner says break fluid
Was sent though out engine compartment .
Is this the same type of line noted above ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 41
That is a low pressure reservoir line. You mean he used a hose for the brake fluid that was intended to be used as a coolant hose? That shouldn't be a big issues at all.

Hi ... This is the hoes that blew out and sprayed the engine
Compartment with fluid. ( owner )
What I like to know is :
If its a low pressure line why would it blow out ?
other that not having the right hoes the first repair.

Ok.. This is what I found out about the break line ...
I attached pic..
Thats the one. If it crumbled from exposure to brake fluid, then it could easily leak all over the place. But it wouldn't spray, more likely drip. Needs to be a fuel rated or power steering type hose not a coolant hose to resist the fluid.

Hi ... This is the hoes that blew out and sprayed the engine Compartment with fluid. ( owner )
If there was actual spraying.. it came from a pressure fitting.. most likely where the accumulator (big black ball) screws into the pump. Might be too loose.. might be a bad Oring. Might even be a loose steel line fitting.
I'd regard the previous owner comment for what it is, replace the hose, and see what happens. Its a near 0 pressure feed hose. It isn't normally secured with hose clamps on either end. But it is a very snug fit.

Last edited:
Thank everyone I'm going to do more investigating....on some of the other post on this forum .. The ABS system on these SC seam to have a few issues, ...
While talking to the owner she mention the car shuts off on occasion when breaks are applied ....
I'll do some reading up :D

Back