Need help with ABS Accumulator

SCDan35thANV

I know my pump is running and my abs accumulator is out on the 5 speed anniversary car I just bought. I am at a friends house who has a known good abs accumulator off of a 1991 Jaguar XJ6 and I was wondering if it will work for me to get home and actually order the correct one from spinning wheels. Does anyone know if it will work or where to find the info? I have looked up the entire units on rock auto and the part numbers are different as well as the part numbers on the balls being different so want to know if it will work. If not does anyone have a part number for it.

Thanks

I thought I would post an update. The 91 xj6 jag abs accumulator is different and won't work which was obvious with them side by side. Trying to see what other vehicles used the same accumulator I read if we have the longer nipple thread both a shot nipple and long nipple will work however a long nipple will not work on a short nipple car. I know it seems not too many people are exactly sure what other cars used the same accumulator and I am just looking to find another one with the allen head on top because the one I got from spinning wheels for my other car does not have that, only a hex head at the base which makes it almost impossible to remove. I was thinking of trying a crows foot or something of the like. Has anyone used something like that to remove an abs accumulator without an allen head on top?

I had the exact same problem - the replacement accumulator is hard to remove. I used a hint that I picked up on a Lincoln Mark VII (7) message board. Basically, take a 24mm combination wrench and bend it 90 degrees so it can clear the side of the accumulator. Then you use a breaker bar through the closed end to turn it. It worked great!

Bending alloy steel is not easy, and propane won't work well. If you have a big vise and a very big hammer, it might work. But an oxy-acetylene torch will work great. One of the mechanics at the local chain auto part store bent it for me in 5 minutes with his torch, a bench vise, and a few quick hits with a small hammer. He wouldn't even take any payment for it. Nice!

The quickest way would probably be for you to do it locally. If you have any problem getting this done, I can find my tool and loan it to you.

Accumulator

I have a brand new accumulator that I bought from spinning wheels. Not even 5mins of run time. I Took out abs and installed new pressure switch, accu, re-built pump motor all to have the actual pump die in the first five minutes. New accumulator $100 shipped... I will be posting all parts in the for sale forum too.

Shawn

I had the exact same problem - the replacement accumulator is hard to remove. I used a hint that I picked up on a Lincoln Mark VII (7) message board. Basically, take a 24mm combination wrench and bend it 90 degrees so it can clear the side of the accumulator. Then you use a breaker bar through the closed end to turn it. It worked great!

Bending alloy steel is not easy, and propane won't work well. If you have a big vise and a very big hammer, it might work. But an oxy-acetylene torch will work great. One of the mechanics at the local chain auto part store bent it for me in 5 minutes with his torch, a bench vise, and a few quick hits with a small hammer. He wouldn't even take any payment for it. Nice!

The quickest way would probably be for you to do it locally. If you have any problem getting this done, I can find my tool and loan it to you.

Thank you so much I was not sure on the size of the hex since I was unable to get it off. Was the one you removed the one from Victor at spinning wheels I believe all of the hex heads are the same just checking. Thanks

I have a brand new accumulator that I bought from spinning wheels. Not even 5mins of run time. I Took out abs and installed new pressure switch, accu, re-built pump motor all to have the actual pump die in the first five minutes. New accumulator $100 shipped... I will be posting all parts in the for sale forum too.

Shawn

Thanks I'll take it! PM sent! :D

Never had much trouble

I haven't ever had an issue taking an accumulator ball off by hand. It takes a bit of elbow grease. Maybe I'm just young, dumb and determined.

I haven't ever had an issue taking an accumulator ball off by hand. It takes a bit of elbow grease. Maybe I'm just young, dumb and determined.
I have been able to take them off myself in the past I just think I put the dang thing on too tight in the first place since i didn't want it to leak. My hands are not the smallest in the world either lol.

Thank you so much I was not sure on the size of the hex since I was unable to get it off. Was the one you removed the one from Victor at spinning wheels I believe all of the hex heads are the same just checking. Thanks

I have done this about 3 times on 2 SCs, so I am not totally sure. I think the latest one I replaced and the one I put in were both from Victor. The hex was identical on both.

Back