key won't turn

bumpskier45

I just got done changing my dash out everything turned out really good,even fixed the issue with the dome light not coming on,anyway there are two connectors that I for the life of me can't figure out where they go,so I decided to turn on the ignition see what was working and what wasn't,well it won't turn,only to the accesories postion,I should mention that the steering wheel has not yet been installed not sure if that would have any bearing on the issue or not. any idea's?

Just a thought....do you think it's possible that the ignition is in a bind? Kinda like when you park the car and have the steering wheel turned and then you put the key back in and try to start it and it won't turn until you turn the wheel to take tension of the cylinder...
It was just a thought.

I've had the mechanism inside the column come apart before. Must disassemble column to fix if that. I'd remove the ignition switch first and check if for binding.

As far as hard to do I'm probably the wrong person to ask had more Ford columns apart than can remember. Though if does come to that take your time observe where everything came from and work clean.

Last edited:
even fixed the issue with the dome light not coming on,anyway there are two connectors that I for the life of me can't figure out where they go

Sorry I can't help since I'm new to SC's, so can I ask what you did to get your lights working?

that makes perfect sense,I had to get the steering wheel and twist the wheel some to get the bolts to go back on the colomn,that may be it.As to the dome light issue,the guy who had it before me had said he had changed fuses several times and said it had worked but seemed faint,I don't know about all that but I had changed fuses and it never worked for me,I suspect getting the new dash with a new fuse box that is in the dash is what did it,I didn't actually do anything they just starting working when i connected all the wires back again even the lights to the rear of the rear windows work:)

BINGO!! turned the steering wheel a little to the left,and she unlocked,you guys rock man,you guys save my but all the time you can expect a beer or two at the shootout if your there Thank you again.

Back