power steering tech question

D

djc

Does anyone know a part # , ford , russell , dorman or otherwise for the pressure line fitting between the p/s pump and the line itself ? This is a 1988 merc sable - which should be the same as a ford taurus .
Also , does anyone know the common AN size ( if it is ) of either side of the fitting . It is more like an adapter furnished by ford from the factory .
This is the oem pump and line . This fittng either has an o-ring , or o-rings - or it may be teflon . Would like to hear from someone that knows their fords !

All the power steering fittings I've seen use "O" rings to seal. They usually allow a little movement even when properly tightened down.

Are you just trying to replace the bad fitting because it or the hose has a leak or are you trying to do something custom beyond that ??

Attachments

• Power steering hose O ring.jpg
    Power steering hose O ring.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 42
Hmm ... If I am remembering the system correctly, there is an adapter fitting screwed into the pump and then the HP line screws into that. If your car came with EVO (electronic variable orifice) speed-sensitive steering, then the adapter would have been swapped out for a special solenoid valve. However, if it did not come with it, then there was a simple orifice in the adapter fitting to limit pressure to the desired level.

Do you know if the car came with EVO? Is there an electrical plug there?

Did you check to see if the HP line has the same threads as the pump itself? I sort of think that maybe they do, and the only ill effect of removing the adapter fitting would be uncomfortably overboosted steering.

But maybe I imagined half this stuff; it's been a long week at work and I am tired. :)

Back