Anybody ever forget to install the dust shield between your engine and trans?

mywhite89

I did! I replaced my 5th, reverse synchronizer slider and gear assembly. 5th works great now which was why I had it apart. It grinds going into reverse half the time now even if I wait a few seconds with the clutch depressed before going in. If I put the car in 5th gear then into reverse it goes in fine.

The synchronizer assembly came out of one of my old trannys that I remember I had issues going into reverse! Wish I would have remembered that prior to using the reverse parts. Anyways, the synchronizer for reverse is in perfect shape. Would you say its possible I have a binding issue with my input shaft being that I forgot to install the dust shield and that I need that extra clearance? I have absolutely no problems in any other gear and engagement of the clutch feels normal.

I could re-install the original reverse synchronizer and gear and see what happens I guess, but I hate to pull that thing apart again. What are your opinions?

Chris

Good news is that I'm not afraid of working on transmissions anymore and I did fix the problem I sought to fix! Too bad I created a new one!

I did! I replaced my 5th, reverse synchronizer slider and gear assembly. 5th works great now which was why I had it apart. It grinds going into reverse half the time now even if I wait a few seconds with the clutch depressed before going in. If I put the car in 5th gear then into reverse it goes in fine.

The synchronizer assembly came out of one of my old trannys that I remember I had issues going into reverse! Wish I would have remembered that prior to using the reverse parts. Anyways, the synchronizer for reverse is in perfect shape. Would you say its possible I have a binding issue with my input shaft being that I forgot to install the dust shield and that I need that extra clearance? I have absolutely no problems in any other gear and engagement of the clutch feels normal.

I could re-install the original reverse synchronizer and gear and see what happens I guess, but I hate to pull that thing apart again. What are your opinions?

Chris

Good news is that I'm not afraid of working on transmissions anymore and I did fix the problem I sought to fix! Too bad I created a new one!

id say try it if that is the only thing that isnt working properly and you knew it kinda gave you conflicts in the past

good thing is you know how to do it :)
same here but on the AOD

well i do have a 5 speed sitting outside i might open it and see whats in there or how to rebuild it

but to the original question i think the only problem was using the reverse parts that had known problems

I'm about an hour away from having everything back out again. Hopefully by the end of the weekend ill have it back together again for try two.

Chris

Here is a comparison picture of my burnt up 5th gear synchronizer vs. a good reverse synchronizer(the one I'm going to throw back in).

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
tranny out, fixed, reinstalled and running last night. Good to go, dust shield back in too!! The reverse gear that the synchronizer slides up against, teeth were just worn down quite a bit and no longer sharp. I would conclude that it just couldnt catch reverse properly since the teeth were worn down. The one I replaced it with was much better and seems to be working ok.

chris

The reverse gear that the synchronizer slides up against, teeth were just worn down quite a bit and no longer sharp. I would conclude that it just couldnt catch reverse properly since the teeth were worn down.
Actually, your new blocker ring probably did more good at stopping the shaft rotation than the sharper teeth did for shifting. If you ever hear grinding... that means that the slider ring's teeth are bouncing off the gear's teeth which means that the blocker ring is NOT stopping the shaft from rotating.

Dull slider and/or gear teeth will result in a stiff shift where it won't go into gear easily. The workaround for that is to halt the car, shift into 5th to stop the input shaft, and then try reverse again. That hopefully lines up the teeth in a slightly different angle.

Anyways, its good that you got that reverse gear whupped into shape. ;)

Last edited:
Back