PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Blockers are Finally Here.

Mike Puckett
06-17-2013, 01:00 PM
I need to do an incoming inspection tonight but the preliminary check looks good. I should be able to start shipping before the weeks end. As previously stated, a set of 1st thru 4th is $200 and a set of all 6 is $250. Prices are shipped. I've set up a business to sell these, Mike Puckett Motorsports. At the present time I do not have to charge sales tax but depending how the law eventually reads I may or may not have to in the future. I believe the law would require me to sell a million dollars per year before I would need to charge tax and I'm several orders of magnitude below that amount. I take Paypal at: mikepkt@comcast.net. I will also take Postal money orders. I will take checks but they need to clear my bank before shipment. Money orders and checks should be made out to Mike Puckett. To order PM me with payment details.
The initial testing was successful and they showed virtually no wear after driving for 5 mos and about 9 passes down the dragstrip. I'm going to reinstall the prototype set back in another tranny for my back up as they are still like new. I never crunched a gear when shifting so I'm very pleased with them and have high confidence that they will perform very well. I am going to recommend using Synchromesh with friction modifier over ATF.

nmcbchief
06-17-2013, 04:27 PM
This is great news Mike! Thanks for doing this for us.

davec73
06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
awesome I will give you a shout later!

BLOWN38
06-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Mike, are you covering paypal fees? Make sure you have people add 3% if you are not.;) Or have them send as a gift.

Mike Puckett
06-18-2013, 12:09 AM
I didn't really think about that but that's a good idea everybody. I'm thinking that the fee only applies to credit cards. I haven't been charged anything on the last sales I've had and collected cash for. I'll go on Paypal and check for sure.

BLOWN38
06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Usually if you pay with your bank account or from a paypal balance it doesn't charge fees.

XR7 Dave
06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Personal payments are not a valid way to get around the fees for business. I'm waiting for the class action lawsuit where Paypal gets nailed for letting you think that you are sending money for free and then charging the vendor anyway. I'd make a lot on that one. :D

In the mean time Mike probably has a short window of time when he will be able to accept personal payments before Paypal shuts that down.

Other drawbacks to sending/accepting personal payments is that Paypal doesn't include your shipping address (and if you put it in there anyway, that's one of the ways Paypal figures out it was a purchase and blacklists the vendor), and you can't dispute a transaction if it was sent as a personal payment. Just FYI. ;)

Mike Puckett
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Well, I'm not trying to make a killing on these, just enough to make it worth my while. If I need to pay a 3% fee or whatever, it's just the cost of doing business. I was planning on having to pay income tax on whatever I make beyond expenses. I figure the IRS is watching Paypal and I'm sure Paypal will be reporting to them as well so I need to keep everything on the up and up. I have a friend who's an accountant that I consult with on the business end of it.

nanatothesixth
06-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I sent you a pm a few days ago but you haven't replied. about 2 sets

S4gunn
06-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Money sent via Paypal. It will be nice to have 2nd gear back again...
-g

nanatothesixth
06-18-2013, 08:56 PM
just sent payment for 2 sets!

thanks! Tom

Plat0ribs
06-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Mike just sent you 255 in order to share PP cost.

Please advise ETA.

Also will you continue to provide these parts or was this a one time run of a limited number of sets?

Mike Puckett
06-19-2013, 01:06 PM
For all those who have placed orders, I will be shipping tomorrow via USPS Priority Mail. Thank you for your business.

XxSlowpokexX
06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Usually if you pay with your bank account or from a paypal balance it doesn't charge fees.

Ive done it both ways using a bank account in the past with no fees. Just cant use credit card

jco1385
06-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Money order being sent out today for 1 full set.

Mike Puckett
06-21-2013, 09:09 PM
I just want to repeat about using Synchromesh fluid with friction modifier. The blockers like an oil based fluid with friction modifier over the ATF as per the manufacturer. The Synchromesh with the modifier already in it is $15 while without it's only $9. Add a bottle of Ford's friction modifier for $6 instead. It comes to about $12 less. That's if you can stand the stink of that stuff.:eek:

davec73
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Mike I think the friction modifier that gm sells is a little better. Instead of bieng synthetic and stinky it has whale oil in it which stinks and works lol

Mike Puckett
06-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Dave, I was wondering if the 2 friction modifiers were the same. I'd heard that the Ford FM was whale oil. I was going to buy a bottle of the GM fluid with the FM to see if it smelled the same. The high mileage ATF has it in it and it does smell the same. Frankly, with all the controversy over whaling I'd be surprised if either Ford or GM actually used real whale oil.

davec73
06-22-2013, 10:53 AM
My transmission guy who worked for ford as a transmission rebuilder for 30 years swares by it. Fords is the one that is fully synthetic and does not have whale oil in it. GMs does and I believe it is also less expensive. I put the amsoil 5 w 20 in my late model transmission and it grinds less and less everytime I drive it, I would say that is the route I am going to take as it costs me 6.70 per qt and is the same as synchromesh. I have most of my driveability issues resolved so I am going to drive mine again on Monday but like I said the transmission is shifting better and better the more I drive it so I will update more with you on Monday.

SuperCoupe
06-23-2013, 01:35 AM
payment sent for 1 set, sent pm as well. I sent 250 from my bank account, but if you get charged any fees, let me know, and I'll pay them

thanks Mike!!

I just want to repeat about using Synchromesh fluid with friction modifier. The blockers like an oil based fluid with friction modifier over the ATF as per the manufacturer. The Synchromesh with the modifier already in it is $15 while without it's only $9. Add a bottle of Ford's friction modifier for $6 instead. It comes to about $12 less. That's if you can stand the stink of that stuff.:eek:

I wish I'd known this before. I already bought Royal Purple Synchromax, a bottle of Lucus synthetic oil stabilizer, and I got my friction mod from Bill a while ago, it's made by Yukon. I guess it's going in because I've been sitting on this stuff for quite some time, I can't return it, and I have no other use for it

TbirdSCFan
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
payment sent for 1 set, sent pm as well. I sent 250 from my bank account, but if you get charged any fees, let me know, and I'll pay them

thanks Mike!!

I wish I'd known this before. I already bought Royal Purple Synchromax, a bottle of Lucus synthetic oil stabilizer, and I got my friction mod from Bill a while ago, it's made by Yukon. I guess it's going in because I've been sitting on this stuff for quite some time, I can't return it, and I have no other use for it I think you'll be just fine. Start off with no FM. Leave some room for it and add until you're minimally satisfied with shifting. Then add no more. Too much and you'll grind. I have CF blockers in my 5 speed with Pennzoil Synchromesh + plain-jane FM. It shifts good. It COULD be a bit smoother, but I won't risk it by adding more FM.

A lot of the time, we don't have a lot of choices for fluids.. you just do the best you can with whatever you can find on the store shelves. :rolleyes:

S4gunn
06-25-2013, 02:49 PM
I just received my shipment of 1-4 blockers via USPS Priority Flat Rate.
To my untrained eye they look good (the carbon fiber liners seem to be bonded securely to the brass blocking rings and they all look the same size with no teeth suspiciously missing/worn down).

I will know more once i refurb my M5R2 and put my 5.0L engine together again.
Thanks again for getting these manufactured, Mike!

Regards,
-g

Mike Puckett
06-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Indeed, these are all brand new from new brass stock, machined on a CAD/CAM. I always found them to shift smoothly driving around, never crunched. I also found I could clutchless shift with ease. Once the rpm equalized it slipped right into gear. I even was using ATF at the time so it does work. Now that I've clarified with them what fluid to use I'll be switching to Synchromesh when I put the other tranny back in. I've got one of the moly coated 5th gear blockers in my current tranny and I can skip 4th gear and go from 3rd to 5th without any crunch. With the solid brass blockers I couldn't do that, it'd crunch everytime. Be careful not to mix up the 5th and reverse. They are almost identical but slightly different.

Ira R.
06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
One set arrived yesterday. I presume the other has as well. Very pretty stuff I must say; can't wait to try them out.

Oh and that's great thinking Mike, labeling the two bags for 5th and Reverse lol

TbirdSCFan
06-25-2013, 06:32 PM
So just when I though I had learned something, I just learned something new:

"Friction Modifiers and Friction Reducers are in a class of additives called, "Friction Enhancers."

Friction Modifiers for Differentials improve Limited Slip operation, and Friction Modifiers for Manual Transmissions help the synchro assembly, are two, entirely different chemical compounds, and one cannot substitute one for the other."

So my use of equa torque, which was all I could find on the shelf at the local Pep boys, in the trans was a waste. :(

SuperCoupe
06-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I think you'll be just fine. Start off with no FM. Leave some room for it and add until you're minimally satisfied with shifting. Then add no more. Too much and you'll grind. I have CF blockers in my 5 speed with Pennzoil Synchromesh + plain-jane FM. It shifts good. It COULD be a bit smoother, but I won't risk it by adding more FM.

A lot of the time, we don't have a lot of choices for fluids.. you just do the best you can with whatever you can find on the store shelves. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advise, but how do I go about adding once the tranny is back in the car? Is there a fill somewhere that I'm not aware of?

Be careful not to mix up the 5th and reverse. They are almost identical but slightly different.

Are they marked, or placed in order Mike? Also, do you agree that I'll be ok using RP Synchromax?

jco1385
06-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advise, but how do I go about adding once the tranny is back in the car? Is there a fill somewhere that I'm not aware of?

Are they marked, or placed in order Mike? Also, do you agree that I'll be ok using RP Synchromax?

I was reading through the tech article last night and it says to fill thru where the shifter mounts. I was wondering the same.

Tighten the cover, and I would wait until the trans is in the car to pour the rest of the fluid in. It goes in where the shifter is, wait till the driveshaft is in. Take out the Fill plug and pour the fluid in until it starts coming out (a little over 3 quarts).

Also, I got my set in yesterday. They look very nice. There are 4 unlabeled (1-4), with 5th and reverse both labeled on the package. Hard to mess it up. Thanks Mike!

BLOWN38
06-28-2013, 09:50 AM

There is a fill plug half way up the trans on mine. Driver side. I like using a chemical sprayer to fill it in the car.

Mike Puckett
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm gong to get one of those little hand pumps from harbor Freight to start putting it in thru that fitting. When I pour the friction modifier in thru the shifter the interior of the car smells like that stuff for days.

Michael Mattix
06-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Just got mine and they look great! Thanks again Mike!

RedFox
06-28-2013, 06:47 PM
I believe Amsoil has friction modifier in their fluid. Would it be best to still add the Ford FM to it?

Is this a good choice or do you guys recommend something else?
Thanks.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/?code=MTFQT-EA

snakesm13
07-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I would like to confirm if full sets are still available. If so I will send the paypal today and at what amount to compensate for fees?
Thanks again for you effort!

Has anyone found the best place to get all the bearing necessary for a rebuild? I've searched and found Napa seems to be popular, Rockauto doesn't seem to have everything needed.

Mike Puckett
07-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, I still have plenty of sets and probably will have for awhile yet. Even though I have a limited number there are plenty. Feel free to order anytime. I normally don't ask for anyone to pay the extra 2.9% for the Paypal fees but you may if you like to help me out. It will certainly be appreciated. Paypal only charges if I request money or you pay by credit card.

snakesm13
07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Paypal Sent!

sleeper bird
07-24-2013, 09:32 PM
I also requested a set but have had to put it off for a little while due to the 95 auto that i bought the transmission went out and is gonna damn near cost me 2,000.00 to get that fixed,but i do want a full set for my 5 speed,

Mike Puckett
07-25-2013, 07:58 AM
I still have plenty of sets. Just PM me when ready.

92stockbird
07-25-2013, 06:31 PM
What is a blocker? Is it the synchronizer in the 5 spd tranny?

Thank you,
Jim

John 3:16

Mike Puckett
07-25-2013, 06:48 PM
It's the brass gear ring between the synchronizer assembly and the gear. It captures the gear so the synchronizer can engage it. These have a carbon fiber lining to help the ring grip the gear without crunching.

92stockbird
07-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Do the synchros usually need to be replaced also? I have not yet pulled mine, and opened it up.

Mike Puckett
07-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Normally not, but if you've been grinding the gears a lot they may have worn excessively. I've rebuilt quite a few and have not needed to replace one. You'll need to inspect them when they come out to be sure.

92stockbird
07-26-2013, 01:17 PM
I've mostly been shifting from 2nd to 5th. 4th grinds pretty badly. I have the synchros, as someone told me that the synchros make it grind when they go bad. Anyway, I'm going to wait and have a look inside before I do anything else. My guess is, it'll need a set, so when I can afford, after confirming, I'll let you know

ricardoa1
10-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I saw these at the shootout and trying to make up my mind on them. Without mudding up your thread. I noticed that the lining material is thin. What are you thoughts about the carbon fiber material and longevity? Is it possible that once you wear out the lining material these will default back to functioning brass blockers? It seems that there is enough brass so maintain normal function of the blocker long after the epoxied CF liner is destroyed. Do you agree? On stock fiber and the aftermarket ones once the lining gets destroyed the inner diameter increases and the blocker becomes useless since it looses its inability to grip the cone shape part of the gear.

ricardoa1
10-10-2013, 11:07 PM
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1009_hanlon_motorsports_tremec_tko_600_transm ission/

Good article. Mikes blockers look similar to the ones on the article.

DrFishbone
10-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Wow...I really missed out while snoozing this summer! :o

Do you still have some of these Mike? I would have bought a set off you last weekend had I realized what you've been up to! Now, I might have to wait...:o

Mike Puckett
10-11-2013, 08:24 AM
I received a preproduction set last year and rebuilt a transmission using them. After 6 mos of regular driving and 2 Summit series race events I pulled the tranny, disassembled it, and checked the wear on the blockers. It was minimal with just an ever so slight scuffing as I had expected. Not once did it crunch when shifting thru the gears. The carbon fiber material is very hard and very tough. I used a small sharp edged file to try to file down the carbon fiber and it took a lot of pressure to even scratch it. I sawed a groove into it and again it was not easy, taking a bit of effort to cut through it. It is also very chip resistant and I was not able to chip off any of the carbon fiber material from the base metal. When assembled and the blocker is seated up against the gear the gap between the blocker and the gear is identical to an OEM blocker. Performing the same test with a file on an OEM blocker, I was easily able to cut into the OEM material which is compressed paper. I supplied to the manufacturer a reverse gear, synchronizer cluster, and a 3rd gear and synch cluster along with one of the old generation carbon fiber blockers, an OEM blocker, and a brass blocker to aid them in getting the fit correct. I do not believe that the blocker would perform properly with the lining worn off just like the OEM won't.
I'm currently running a moly coated blocker in 5th gear and it has performed flawlessly, never crunching on a shift.
As I have no more new OEM blockers I will be using the new ones from now on myself. I have complete confidence in them. As for longevity we won't know that for awhile yet but based on my initial testing, I believe they will last as long as the OEM's do if not longer.

ricardoa1
10-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Thank you Mike, I was just wondering.

Im almost sold on them LOL. I know you have already ordered them and have them in stock but still debating weather the oil grooves are still necessary to aid in high RPM shifting. I rev my car to a little past 6000rpms so they fall to 5500 at the next shift. Others might not be willing to do that, but I like to be able to.

Hanlon Motorsports cuts the oil dispersing groves in their "real" CF blockers, I have not figured out why they did, but for somereason I feel compelled to do the same. I guess I can take it upon myself to cut grooves but wonder if these can be had with grooves cut?

Just thinking out loud here, just trying to talk about it a little more before I pull the trigger.
Wating to pay off my shootout expenses before I start to work on my car again, and these became priority all of a sudden

Mike Puckett
10-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I have found that neither the OEM nor the carbon fiber blockers like being shifted at or above 6000. They'll do it but not everytime. They don't crunch, it just feels like you hit a stone wall and won't go into gear. At 5500 they shift fine so I've dialed back my shift light. It is possible to file some grooves into the lining but I don't know that it would be necessary or helpful.

Mike Puckett
10-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Matt, I have plenty of sets. Feel free to order at any time. BTW, I take paypal at: mikepkt@comcast.net.

DrFishbone
10-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Matt, I have plenty of sets. Feel free to order at any time. BTW, I take paypal at: mikepkt@comcast.net.

We'll see how the budget goes this month. I'm still selling parts, so that means more $ money. :)

bro
10-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Do u still have any full sets I need one.

Mike Puckett
10-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Yes, I have plenty of sets. Can you PM me for details?