PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan (side) Gaskets (rubber or other...)?

Plat0ribs
06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I know the 3.8 uses RTV for the long runs (sides) of the pan and a rubber strip for the rounds at either end.

Wondering if anybody has used their pan to make a rubber (or other material) gasket that would enable cleaning and slipping the gasket in from the side, perhaps after coating it top and bottom to assure a good leak proof seal.

This is intended to provide for resealing the pan without dropping the pan completely (vie engine removal or K frame drop) to address a leaky oil pan.

Any thought, objections, problems, etc...

I would gladly do this myself except I don't have a loose pan for the template.

If someone who does have a loose pan would be willing to cut these pieces and mail them to me I would gladly pay a reasonable fee and report back here on the success/failure of the concept.

TIA, for faster response reply to cgates@medousadotcom.

Chris

BLOWN38
06-21-2013, 01:06 PM
You would probably have to put some metal inserts in the bolt holes so you dont smash/sqeeze the rubber out. Then the end seals probably wouldn't seal correctly.

Dropping the k member is not all that hard. If you want that option.

I put a new built motor in a car and the oil pickup tube ended up being cracked so it would suck air at high RPM's. I dreaded pulling the motor again. Then ended up dropping the k member. It was easier than expected.

Plat0ribs
06-21-2013, 01:22 PM
You would probably have to put some metal inserts in the bolt holes so you dont smash/sqeeze the rubber out. Then the end seals probably wouldn't seal correctly.
The conventional technique (RTV?) doesn't use grommits so why would a formed gasket? I'm not disrespecting your advice, just questioning this detail. Thanks for your feedback.

I put a new built motor in a car and the oil pickup tube ended up being cracked so it would suck air at high RPM's. I dreaded pulling the motor again. Then ended up dropping the k member. It was easier than expected.

Unfortunately I'm having to use a shop for this work as I just don't have the time, space, or experience to do the job myself. asking a shop to drop the K will drive the cost up significantly.

I imagine dropping the K is a lot harder on a midwest (rustbelt) car, just saying.

I currently have the heads off and can raise the engine enough to drop the pan a couple of inches. This would enable cleaning and inserting a gasket in from the side. Dropping the K means a lot more work @ shop rates!

BLOWN38
06-21-2013, 02:13 PM
The rtv sqeezes out but stays in the voids. A regular rubber gasket would squeeze out and probably rip if you don't use the spacers.

Might be just as easy to put the extended tip on the rtv and squeeze it in there. Cause you won't really be able to clean teh old stuff out of there. Just need to hose it down good with some brake clean to get all the old oil out of there so the new RTV will stick. I would have them let the RTV cure for 24 hours before they add new oil.

David Neibert
06-21-2013, 02:19 PM
I know the 3.8 uses RTV for the long runs (sides) of the pan and a rubber strip for the rounds at either end.

Wondering if anybody has used their pan to make a rubber (or other material) gasket that would enable cleaning and slipping the gasket in from the side, perhaps after coating it top and bottom to assure a good leak proof seal.

This is intended to provide for resealing the pan without dropping the pan completely (vie engine removal or K frame drop) to address a leaky oil pan.

Any thought, objections, problems, etc...

I would gladly do this myself except I don't have a loose pan for the template.

If someone who does have a loose pan would be willing to cut these pieces and mail them to me I would gladly pay a reasonable fee and report back here on the success/failure of the concept.

TIA, for faster response reply to cgates@medousadotcom.

Chris

I haven't ever seen any rubber strips for the ends of the pan and my engines have always used RTV for the entire pan.

David

BLOWN38
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
There is a strip for the back side hump.

David Neibert
06-21-2013, 02:31 PM
There is a strip for the back side hump.

Okay...but the surface up front that meets up with the timing cover just uses RTV ...right ?

BLOWN38
06-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Yuppers....