PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a stereo problem

92stockbird
06-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi guys,

Traded a 1994 F-150 remaining payments for a 1992 black on black sc. About $950.00.

I replaced the seats with junk yard leather seats that cleaned up nicely.
Installed a DIS module, and the difference is night and day.
Found a JBL sub woofer, and amp set up. Also found a refurbished JBL head unit at the sc shop.
Needs synchronizers, and a clutch in the 5 sp., struts installed, the ac fixed, for which I know there was a recall, and the stereo, and cd player to work. Has 2 dents in the passenger side, and needs paint on the roof, hood, and trunk. I 'll do that when funds are available.
Replaced the motor for the moon roof, and no it works. Need to check door motors. I can hear them work, but nothing happens.

This is my question: I hooked up the radio JBL Premium. The antenna clicked in place in the back of the stereo, and raised when I pushed the button. All I hear is a hum, and the CD player does not show lights, but it did suck a cd in but did not play. It did not send it back out when asked.
Does anyone know why the stereo would only hum through the speakers?
Do I need to hook up the amp and sub to make it work?
I did not try a tape.
A little FYI: The capacitor in the radios tend to leak and damage the radio. Bill, at SCP told me that.
When funds allow, and I can find a reasonable shop, the cd player will go in for repair.

I live in Conyers, GA.
If you have the knowledge, I would appreciate the help.

Jim

J dot Miller
06-21-2013, 08:37 PM
As far as I know the JBL unit for a CD player needs the amp/ sub and CD player. If not you may need to add something. Honestly, I am not sure. I do know that Paul had to block out my CD port for my radio to work.

The SC JBL expert it Paul Protos (polyscroll@hotmail.com). Send him an email. Give him pictures of the front and back of what you have and I am sure he can assist in any repair.
:)

S_Mazza
06-21-2013, 08:59 PM
As J dot Miller mentioned, the radio/tape unit and the CD unit have to work together. If you want the radio/tape unit to work without the CD player, you need to install a little jumper plug in the upper right corner of the back of the radio. If you want to use the CD player, you need a cable that connects that plug to the CD player. Did you find wiring for every plug on the back of the CD player? I think that you generally only got the proper cable if your car came with the CD player.

Welcome to the club, anyway!

92stockbird
06-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Thank you,

J dot Miller,
When my brother gets here tomorrow, I will ask him to take pics, and send them to Paul.
S Mazza
This is the factory cd player, and it does have all 3 electrical connections (from the stereo?) to the back of the cd player.

I like that you say "God Bless" in your message box

David R.
06-22-2013, 10:15 AM
your hum is probably coming from the radio trying to talk to the cd player after the cd was put in. The same thing happened to me with a cassette tape and it would quietly hum. I could not get the radio to come on while the head unit was trying to play the tape. I pulled it apart and replaced just the tape deck, and its worked ever since. You may need to have your cd player refurbished.

I would try putting a tape in to the radio to interrupt the cd thought process that is currently confused. If the head unit was refurbished, then it should have no problem with that accepting the tape. That way, you might be able to play the tape, then stop it and switch to radio. If it works, at least youd have something to listen to in the meantime.

92stockbird
06-22-2013, 10:45 AM
David R.

I 'am going to hook up the amp, if I still have the connection from the stereo, and see what happens. I played the radio before I tried the cd player. I had wanted to see if the cd player would work, as I had wanted music not hum, as you can imagine. So, since this orks as a system, maybe that is the problem. I ill let you know.

Thank you,
Jim

John 3:16

92stockbird
06-22-2013, 10:54 AM
David R.,

I 'am going to hook up the amp, if I have the connection from the stereo.
I tried the stereo first, and it hummed, then I put the cd in the player, and still no music. So now I find out that I need the stereo, cd player, and amp hooked up for it to work.
I 'll try that, and let you know.

Thank you,
Jim

John 3:16