Tranny Rebuild

joshbea6

Has anyone tried rebuilding the M5R2 Tranny yet??

If so please let me know some things to look for or how ot go about doing it. I'm a little nervous as the local tranny shop quoted me a price of doing it to be about $2500.

Any advice as to how to go about it would be greatly appreciated

you can do it yourself...i'm doing mine now. I snapped my output shaft, so that was a little more expensive. It should only cost about 450 if you do it yourself. You can get rebuild kits that come with bearings, seals, gaskets, bushings, and blocker rings from scperformance.com. think their price was 350. When you take the output shaft out, you need a speical puller to take a rear bearing off, and you'll need to press the center bearing and the 1st and 2nd gear syncros off as a unit. Its not that tough at all. IF you are not 100% comfortable, then dont do it yourself. IF you want to cut your price down a lot, take the tranny down yourself, and bring just the tranny to the shop. They should be able to do it for about 500. Good luck man.

Southern Gear has all the parts. Find them at southerngear.com. I'm also doing mine right now, just started this afternoon. It isn't that hard to do. This is the second one I've done. Find a copy of the Charging Thunder article I wrote last year about it. I still follow it and refer to my text as I'm going along.

car is slipping out of gear

any suggestions as to why the tranny may be slipping out of gear, pops physically out of gear when driving. clutch is a little worn and needs to be replaced, and doesn't grind going into gear, but pops out sometimes.

I don't know for sure but maybe the synchronizer assembly may be bad or wornout. Is it going completely into gear? You may have to tear it down to find out. I haven't had that problem yet.

Back