Kenne Bell 2.1L swap

rzimmerl

Well after many trials and time thinking its getting very close. Here are some notes going thru all this

1. The 2.1 is a direct swap depending on what size 1.7 you have I came to find out. They had a long case and short case 1.7, with the newer ones being shorter. The 2.1 is also taller so I am hoping to just cut the center hood support rib out to fit this under a stock early model hood. If not I have a primered Cobra R hood in the basement to slap on. I also had to remove the dipstick and put one a left over plug I had on the 1.7 when I added the catch can so I'll have to remove the blower to check the oil at least once a year.

2. Pulley turned out to be a pain due to the 19mm offset difference in the 1.7 to the 2.1 and the fact the 2.1 uses the big 12mm bolt. So I inquired about the Thump Racing modular pulley kit and when I got it I thought it wasn't going to work. So I called up Dave and got a pulley he used for the 2.0 kits and this should work out perfect. I just need to have a lip machined on the pulley to align into the drive sealing ring. Still attempting to use the modular pulley kit which will need modified yet, but using the 2.0 pulley at this time.

3. Got everything dry fit in the car last night and need to clearance the tstat housing of the intake manifold about 0.060 to 0.100 to move the blower forward to clear the pulley on the A frame support when I machine the lip on the pulley. I also had to change 4 of the intake manifold bolts from hex heads to button heads to make clearance for the blower. Fuel rails and everything else is fitting just fine just like the 1.7.

4. Bypass valve needed to slightly modified from the 1.7 kit so I got a new one coming this week finally. Plan is to just run silicone hose to connect it to the intake instead of the rigid tube it had welded to it.

5. The 1.7 blower is already sold, and will be part of another SC kit sometime.

Right now i'll be running a 3.5" blower pulley with 5% jackshaft and see how much more boost it makes. I can't wait to hear this thing fire up as just rotating the blowers by hand this thing should whine like crazzy. Love the sound of blower whine :D

to be continued.......

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 2,061
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 1,380
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 1,060
You could space the subframe from the body a half inch. Make spacers out of aluminum stock. What I had to do to fit Cobra intake under stock Mark8 hood. May work to fit the new blower under your hood and it wont hurt angle of the engine really. Also, you could eek another eighth of a inch by putting spacers between the hood and hood hinges. You could go further if you wanted, but the mismatch of lines between the fender and hood would be a give away if not unatractive.

The subframe is more work then just trimming the hood support, its already been cut anyways to fit the 4" intake tube.

Very Nice!

Looking forward to seeing it in October as Dave said!!!

Nice work, looks awesome!!!

At least he didn't get it off Ebay. You know how those people like to rip you off.

Mine was off Ebay, although it went straight to you I hope it all works when we finish the darn thing. Im getting Flow from Progressive to come over to Daves shop, I feel a discount coming for Ryan beating me to getting the 2.1l installed on an SC.

At least if Ryan one sees a 5 HP increase with the KB ill know what to do next. :rolleyes: I hear Oatways is crushing some hefty numbers. :cool:\

Good luck Ryan hope you get it all sorted out. I told you it was not a simple bolt one when you first got it. But it seems to be minor details.

I was worried about the fuel rails and you seem to have made it fit with stock ones. Im I correct?

I found this one by luck of a google search to a mustang website, which the guy then listed it on ebay. The only reason mine is going together quick is that my kit allowed for the swap and didn't need to be majorly overhauled. So far no cutting or welding done to anything, and yes the stock fuel rails still fit and I have -6 fitting on the front of both rails that are individually fed.

Mine was off Ebay, although it went straight to you I hope it all works when we finish the darn thing. Im getting Flow from Progressive to come over to Daves shop, I feel a discount coming for Ryan beating me to getting the 2.1l installed on an SC.

At least if Ryan one sees a 5 HP increase with the KB ill know what to do next. :rolleyes: I hear Oatways is crushing some hefty numbers. :cool:\

Good luck Ryan hope you get it all sorted out. I told you it was not a simple bolt one when you first got it. But it seems to be minor details.

I was worried about the fuel rails and you seem to have made it fit with stock ones. Im I correct?

Ricardo,

I'm hearing that Dave can't devote much time to your 2.1 KB kit until he finishes the 3.3 Whipple upgrade for my car :cool: This time I'm getting the inverted sight glass too.

David

Funny stuff. Talking with Dave he was saying he can't devote much time to your 3.3 Whipple as he'd working on my SVO long block. That guy....I tell ya.... ;)

Ricardo,

I'm hearing that Dave can't devote much time to your 2.1 KB kit until he finishes the 3.3 Whipple upgrade for my car :cool: This time I'm getting the inverted sight glass too.

David

For you guys with the 2.0s what belt size and tensioner pulley are you using? I can barely get the stock belt on without the tensioner on due to the 3.5" pulley. I am ordering a 70mm pulley and a K080400 belt which is acutally 40-3/4 long and hoping its long enough.

Back