Help with rounded door striker bolt...

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I wanted to replace both door striker bolts on my SC, I got the passingers side out, but the drivers side is sort of rounded. Im using a T50 torx, but the thing wont move. Any suggestions on what i could do to get it out? Gracias

If you are planning to replace it anyway, why not use a big pair of Vise-grips on it!

BE CAREFUL though. If it's stuck that bad you may rip the plate loose from inside the 1/4 panel.

You may want to remove the panel in the back seat and spray the back side if the threeds with a hi-quality penitrating oil first!

You will probably think I am nuts here but I have had good luck in the past with bolts like this by tapping it with a hammer dead on the head not real hard but a few times to sort of "wake it up". They get stuck, rust and such, and tapping it makes it heat up and will help break it loose. When you do twist it, don't do it fast. Do it slowly and steadily applying torque. It may take a few tries but it should soon unscrew.

Hope this helps.

thanx for the responses guys, but i think i explained my problem wrong. the problem is not with the thread its self, but with the actual "star" shape on the head of the bolt. With the T50 drive i took the passinger's side out with no problem, but the 'star' shape on the drivers side is rounding and hence, i cant even begin to turn the bolt. OH, and FYI, i have a whole new stricker bolt assembly, so if there's a way to just get the thing out, let me know.

What they are saying is to use the vise grips right on the striker bolt!! if you have a new one it's not a big deal if you ruin the old one. forget about the torx if it is stripped...Bill

Yeah I'm slow. :) Just use the vise grips like these folks have said. Just do it slowly and don't yank. If it's in there that tight that it's rounding the inside of the head, you just may want to do as forcefed93 said and get some penetrating oil on the threads. I would hate to see the threaded shank break off in the plate.

Good luck.

Back