power steering high pressure line ?

tbirdtony

i am about to replace the high pressure line for my power steering system. i got the part from advance. but i read on the forum that you must tighten one of the fitting before you install the line . is this correct ? if so what end needs to be tightened. i thought they were pressure fitting that would allow some movement at the joint.

I just replaced my rack and pinion along with all the steering lines about two weeks ago on my 89. On the end of the high pressure line that goes to the right angle swivel connector there is a larger hex shaped piece with a fitting coming out on the side. I had to move the side fitting (service port? not sure what it is called) over from the old line to the new high pressure line. My instructions that came with the line said I needed to tighten the fitting coming out the end of that large hex piece of the the high pressure line. (it is essentially another section that swivels between the hex shaped part of the high pressure line and right angle connector going to the rack.) It was in fact loose. I then had to connect the right angle swivel connection to the high pressure line. I tried to connect the right angle fitting to the rack input first, but i did not have enough room to connect the high pressure line to the right angle piece when everything was in the vehicle. So I had to take it back apart, attach the right angle swivel connection to the high pressure line first, then install and connect the right angle connection to the rack input. I had more room to connect the right angle to the rack doing it that way. The last thing I did was make the connection at the top. to the variable assist valve coming off the power steering pump.

Dont forget to replace the teflon seals at all the lower connections and make sure the oring is installed correctly at the pump end.

You are in for a treat, the rack and pinion is kind of an aggravation!!!

Back