broken balancer

TBirdSC89

is that just a broken balancer or a broken crankshaft piece too? I was just startin to enjoy this car and it came off at 30mph

Attachments

• IMG_20130702_233546.jpg
    IMG_20130702_233546.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20130702_233621.jpg
    IMG_20130702_233621.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20130702_233748.jpg
    IMG_20130702_233748.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 139
The crank doesnt look broken but it looks like the end of the balancer is still inside the timing cover.. Not good.. Buy a bhj. Not a factory one if you value your car at all..

I just looked at another thread with the same issue. I thought at first the crank was damaged and I was gonna flip out. but ill be getting the bhj for sure, the previous owner had just done gasket work before I bought it, so not sure if he took the balancer off and reinstalled it, if that had anything to do with it.

That is definitely a broken balancer. Getting the broken chunk off the crank is not fun. Neither is the broken balancer bolt that's probably broke off inside the crank. Use a carbide drill bit for the broken bolt. Time to go BHJ, and don't forget to use the search function at the top of the page, it'll help you with the install.

Easy fix use a reverse drill 4 crand bolt

That is definitely a broken balancer. Getting the broken chunk off the crank is not fun. Neither is the broken balancer bolt that's probably broke off inside the crank. Use a carbide drill bit for the broken bolt. Time to go BHJ, and don't forget to use the search function at the top of the page, it'll help you with the install.

THEN 2 OR 3 SHEET MEDAL SCREWS SCREWED INTO THE BROKEN PIECE LEFT ON CRANK AND PRY OUT PICS ARE ON SEARCH SITE :rolleyes:

i freaked out last night cause I thought I had broke the crankshaft, that would have really sucked. the bolt actually flew off too, but ill need to make sure it didn't break off inside too. im so glad this happened when I was almost home and at a slow speed..driving the freeway to work and having this happen would have really sucked the next morning

Sorry to see this. On another note, if you don't need the trigger wheel (I don't know if you need to transfer it to the new balancer) I need one for a project. Pm me. Thanks.
MikeH

The balancer hub is aluminum?!?!

That's a first and explains a LOT!

Why worry about 3 lbs of weight so close to the axis of the crank? When everything else in the rotating assemblies weighs 20 lbs, why not go for the sure thing, iron, where it matters the most?

Somebody screwed up.

yea what a joke the stock balancer is. im only gonna use a replacement stock balancer for a very short time, but ill be getting the bhj one. steel sounds a lot more better than aluminum

has anyone tried to extract the broken crank bolt and had pieces of it still attached to the threads? i have a dremel tool i was thinking of carefully getting them off, and been using pb blaster spray too but to no avail

Back