tranny cooler enough?

90tbirdsc

Well after my stock aod let go I bought a used art carr aod from a member on here with a 2500 stall converter. Im just wondering if I should upgrade my tranny cooling system? basically after the oil comes out of the radiator it goes into a 8x12 tranny cooler mounted where the stock IC was mounted. should I completely bypass the stock tranny cooler/heater or just leave it or bypass and get a bigger cooler or throw a fan on current setup? Many options let me know what you guys think/would do.

the cooler is like this one but isint painted and is a little wider
http://www.myjeepxj.com/uploads/images/Jeep/transmission-cooler/DSCF0223.JPG

Upgrade to a plate-style cooler, and don't use the radiator cooler. If you live where it's VERY cold, add a 180F bypass in the line (that is, it bypasses the cooler if the transmission fluid is under 180F.)

RobertP and others have had good luck with the big one from Hayden ... the Hayden 679.

RwP

Ralph is correct. Ditch the factory cooler. Use a plate cooler instead. Also be certain to clear out the cooling lines and check for flow. Poor flow will kill a transmission quickly.

If you actually drive when it is cold outside, keeping the factory cooler in series is probably a better idea. I kept my factory cooler in series with my Seatrab plate and frame cooler and have no problems cooling my transmission.

If you actually drive when it is cold outside, keeping the factory cooler in series is probably a better idea. I kept my factory cooler in series with my Seatrab plate and frame cooler and have no problems cooling my transmission.

Even better is a thermal bypass valve, such as http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-Long...08-4739P6/dp/B008BTJFJ4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4 . One thing to keep in mind is that if the car IS running hot, you're heating up the transmission fluid even more (and how much that affects the fluid depends on if it's the external cooler or the radiator cooler first ...)

I'm a strong proponent of not using the radiator cooler, and if you're in a cold enough enviroment, use a thermal bypass valve to bleed the fluid around the external cooler.

Of course, for most people, ANY of the above works, TBH. I just want to avoid still another way for there to be leaks between coolant and lubricants.

RwP

Back