Umm, is this BAD?

Johnny_Squirrel

I came back home again for the weekend, as my college life weekends are extremely boring.

I decided to go out to the backyard/woods to check up on my SC. Poor beast looked all sad...covered in dead leaves. The first thing I noticed was that my idea to cover the top of the car with a tarp wasn't helping much, as there was condensation on the inside of every window (including moonroof, which has a bad seal...go figure).

The wierd thing I'm asking about though involves the ventalation system. I started the car and let it run for a while until it warmed up a bit. When I turn on the heat I suddenly heard this rushing of water. For a second I though, "Coolent entering heater core? Nah..."

After I thought for a second, I realized that it sounded like water was inside the fan compartment. I cranked the fan up a notch and the water sound swished a little more and then got a little quieter. I cranked it up all the way and the sound pretty much went away. After putting it on low again I could still hear the water a little.

Is it possible that water somehow got down inside the fan compartment? It sounded like a lot, so I'm wondering how the heck all that water could have gotten in there.

And if anyone is wondering, no I did not take it apart. I did not have the time to. Plus, it was getting really dark and cold.

-Chris

Don't cover

If you use the wrong cover you will do more harm than good. The tarp that you have will trap water between it and the car with the end result being RUST.... Spent some money and get a car bubble that has a small fan to keep it up. I don't know if you are in the snow belt or not so this may not work for you. You can also get a small car port to cover it as well. Last choice is to build a frame around the car and then cover that with something.. This is what I do with the cars that I put away in a barn. I make it out of 2x2 wood and then wrap the entire frame in 6 mil poly, 360 around... This keeps the unwanted farm criters out and keeps the car nice as well... It is also smart to put a couple of bags of mouth balls and a few packs of water remover in the box as well. Good luck and please don't place a trap right on your car or you will be unhappy....Rich

Dirt, old leaves and other stuff make their way into the blower box and stop up the drain that allows water to drain out of the car from the evaporator when it's running and water that normally falls into this area from the vent intake, which is the area between the windsheild and the hood on the pass side. /I haven't done it on an SC but you need to get in there and scoop out all the compost that is stuck in there now, or it will constantly overflow into the pass side floorboard.

Jeff

Sometimes the base of the window will also start to leak.

Aaron, that just made me crack up! That reminded me of my father asking me over the weekend, "Why don't you just do what your brother did and buy a car that doesn't need work?"

I had to remind him again that the car is somewhat rare, has a lot of potential, and that he will LOVE driving it when I'm done (his brother used to have a nice Road Runner). Unfortunatly I know my parents would never help with the restoration/repair of the car. They're helping me get through college, and they do not have the money to spare on a car that sits in the back yard.

I re-assessed the whole tarp idea on the car and the best idea I could come up with (with current materials anyway) would be to put a couple pieces of wood under the tarp to hold it away from the moonroof area so the water wouldn't get trapped as bad. It really sucks living in Minnesota and not having a decent area to store a car...

Thanks for the tips though guys. Hopefully my Dad will take pity on the car and at least let it live in the lean-to for the winter.

-Chris

my parents are supposedly putting me through school (my dad's always telling me to do ROTC at ISU) and he still says he's gonna help me out... then again he feels really bad for me after my recent problems! I did decide to take some matters into my own hands by getting another sc... its a 90, just like my other one, the only difference is the interior is blue and there is no moonroof... it has the engine I need, Rack and Pinion, clutch, rear bumper cover, SC and a few other various parts I may need... plus another guy is creating a drag-SC from a salvage, so he's gonna have to get some stuff for his car to! So I figured 700 is a pretty good deal...

You should lay a tarp down on the ground and drive your SC over on top of it. This will stop a lot of moisture evaporating up from the ground, condensing on the tarp covering the car, and raining back down on your car. (Unless your parked on concrete).

Back