Short AC condenser problems...too tall???

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
After several years of sitting on the shelf, and due to my factory condenser getting a leak during the Hot Rod Power Tour last year, I decided to install the shorter condenser. Here's my problem:

The factory condenser is 16 and 5/16 inches tall, the aircon shorter condenser is 16 and 15/16 inches tall. If I don't use the factory vibration isolators, it will fit. Obviously, I need vibration elimination. Did anybody else have problems with the shorter condenser from the group buy?

Ugh, this should have been in the technical forum. I brought this over from the group buy post.

I wish I would have read the bolded statement sooner. This seems like a size error that people accepted. According to my measurements, the new condenser is 5/8" too tall.

Ricardo, did you use anything to mount the top of the condenser?

Aside from not being able to use both upper bracket/bushings the unit fit right in. The lines should be flexible enough to reach. The lower busing has no where to go once the condenser is in the opening hole.

FMICandCondenser002.jpg

Mine dropped into the factory isolators on the bottom ok - top mounted as in the attached - tight going in, but otherwise no issue. Be sure the bottom is correctly indexed into the isolators.

Attachments

• SCNarrowACcondersor02.jpg
    SCNarrowACcondersor02.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Mine dropped into the factory isolators on the bottom ok - top mounted as in the attached - tight going in, but otherwise no issue. Be sure the bottom is correctly indexed into the isolators.
Is your car an early or late model car? The only was I am able to use the upper mounts is if I completely eliminate the lower mounts and even then, the fit is very tight.

I used the bottom isolators not the top. The hoses keep things in place. But mine did fit..after eliminating the top ones..

Also use a pusher fan on it unless you have the stock fan. I recently tried it on my car after changing to a magnum powers IC. Now the system got so pressurized the pop valve was relieving pressure. Scared the living Jesus out of me. I had no problems till I changed to the mpfmic, so I'll have to invest in a pusher fan. I absolutely hate the side effects of the MPFMIC, if I wasn't trying to maximize hp I would go back to a stock fan etc..

OK, I think I got it all figured out, but I needed to stop for the night. I took the mounting post off the condenser and bent them so they were flat. I then cut the lower vibration isolation pads so that instead of having a rectangular pocket, they now look like a U from the side. Those mods were enough to get the upper mounted to fit. I also had to notch part of the ear of my Griffin radiator. I've got pictures on my phone that I'll try posting pictures tomorrow.

Back