Replacing A/C Condenser - any tips?

91cougar

Hi all,
I have replaced everything North of the firewall on my A/C system and am now going to do the condenser. Looks like the radiator needs to come out - right? Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks to watch out for or shorten my struggle.
Thanks.

Possibly consider getting an American Condenser shorter condenser, this way you can allow better air flow to your factory intercooler to help prevent heatsoak

Looks like the radiator needs to come out - right? Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks to watch out for or shorten my struggle.

I was able to swap mine (for the shorter condenser) by pulling the fan & radiator and leaving the IC in place. Swapping stock-for-stock should be pretty straight forward I think.

Make sure you have the quick-lock tool to uncouple the two lines [ http://youtu.be/DKgQJ-RinXc ]

Use new o-rings of course. Vacuum down as usual to clean out and confirm integrity.

If you've already had the system open, you may or may not need to add oil.

Speak up if you swap to the narrow unit.

:eek:
Possibly consider getting an American Condenser shorter condenser, this way you can allow better air flow to your factory intercooler to help prevent heatsoak

Thanks for the tip. I'm really looking for removal/reinstall tips though. Hoping I don't have to drain and pull the radiator
:eek:

The radiator does have to come out in order to get the condenser in and out of the car. It's not too big of a job to drain and remove though

I'm really looking for removal/reinstall tips though. Hoping I don't have to drain and pull the radiator
Yes. The radiator must be removed. Also, unless you live in a mild weather state, you need a full sized condenser to get cold A/C. :rolleyes:

...unless you live in a mild weather state, you need a full sized condenser to get cold A/C. :rolleyes:

If you live in mild weather, you don't need the A/C :)

95º out and I get 37º from the center vents w/the narrow condenser....in a black SC.

If you live in mild weather, you don't need the A/C :)

95º out and I get 37º from the center vents w/the narrow condenser....in a black SC.
Heee heee.. 95 is just getting warmed up. Bring it down to Dallas. We're at 101 today. :D

btw anyone know who makes the best parallel flow condenser? There's not all the same, the cheap china ones are horrible.

Ok boys neither one of you have a real test of A/C. Come to the Deep (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia)South 100% humidity/ 80°F+ dew point, no coastal winds and 90°F+.

Ok boys neither one of you have a real test of A/C. Come to the Deep (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia)South 100% humidity/ 80°F+ dew point, no coastal winds and 90°F+.
Whew! Yeah. Humidity matters but.. given enough time on recirc, it doesn't as the cabin air gets cooled and dried out.

The only way to really know how good your A/C setup is working is to measure the temp drop from the outside to the vent on Norm A/C with the windows down when the car is sitting still. On a 100 degree day if you can get 60 out the vent.. you're doing well.

In actual use on a hot day, you don't give a flip about the theory.. you roll up the windows, get moving to get air across the grill, and put it on recirc where you have a chance at 30s. Good or bad, thats all that matters. :cool:

Thanks for all the tips. I did it yesterday in about 2 hours. Pretty simple.

I have the 5.0 V8 with a conventional fan so my job may be different than an SC with electric fans. Here is what I did:

1. Disconnected the two A/C lines from the condenser.
2. Drained a small amount of coolant and removed the upper radiator hose.
3. Disconnected the two screws to the fan shroud and pushed it towards the engine.
4. Disconnected the two bolts holding the radiator and pushed it towards the engine.
5. Disconnected the two screws holding the condenser in and snuck it out the gap.

Sure, the radiator was almost out, just needed to remove the lower hose and pull it out. But I saved having to catch and reload all that coolant.

Back