Aftermarket Gauge Wiring Question- Headlight wire color

LIVipers

I am almost done installing my new set of gauges on my A-Pillar. My only dilemma right now is in regards to the wiring for the gauges to dim once the headlights come on.

My gauges are Dakota Digital (water temp and oil pressure) and my 3rd gauge is my LC-1. For all of these, it says that i cannot connect to a dimmer switch, but that i must connect to my headlight switch in order for the dimming function to work (i am assuming there is no adjustability on the dimming for these gauges). My question is what color is the headlight power switch on a 94 SC with the auto headlights? I need to know which color wire to tap into in order to use there functions.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Might want to confirm. The digitals I run don't use a dedicated lead just for illumination and change based on ambient light.

I am not sure how it works to be perfectly honest with you, that is just an assumption on my part. Which gauges are you running? Did you tap into the headlight switch for lighting?

From the research i've done i can see that i have to tap into either the blue with red stripe or the brown wire. I just want to clarify which one before i go ahead and wire everything up

Thanks for the help,
Tom

From the research i've done i can see that i have to tap into either the blue with red stripe or the brown wire. I just want to clarify which one before i go ahead and wire everything up

Probe both and check using a multimeter to confirm. If the manuf. says no dimmer circuit, either just grab a hot/key on or use the brown/something that comes on w/lights & isn't dimmed.

Last edited:
It actually depends.

I'd opt for the gauges lit with the parking lights myself ... that's the brown wire.

The OTHER is headlights only.

RwP

There is a lightbulb in your cig lighter. It comes on with the lights, and is dimable with the switch on the dash.

!I! would stick with the brown wire - that's for the parking lights, and will have the new gauges lit any time the cluster is.

RwP

Back