PDA

View Full Version : Front Seat Upholstery

jjklongisland
07-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Does anybody know the best route to have my front seats redone. I searched the web and could only find one place that sells the front seat skins. They are insanely expensive. I have an 89 SC with black leather. How much could I expect from an upholstery shop?

90sc35thann
07-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Both SCP and spinning wheels sell real nice kits. They are costly but worth the money. The kits
turn out very well.

jjklongisland
07-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Both SCP and spinning wheels sell real nice kits. They are costly but worth the money. The kits
turn out very well.

How do I go about finding them. Do you have a link perhaps. I tried to do a search but kept coming up with dead ends.

thanks

LIVipers
07-12-2013, 11:26 PM
How do I go about finding them. Do you have a link perhaps. I tried to do a search but kept coming up with dead ends.

thanks

Heres a link to all the interior stuff that super-coupe performance offers:
https://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?category=38

dthompson
07-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I had mine done at an upholstery shop. The guy does really good work but is expensive. He told me that to redo it in perforated leather would be about $3k. I paid less than $2k to go back with a good quality perforated vinyl. It looks just like the original (the navy is a little bit lighter, but since I had it all done at once it doesnt matter). This price was for the front and rear seats.

Honestly, the SCP price is very good, but I have never seen them in person.

jjklongisland
07-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I was hoping to keep it under a $1000. How is the vinyl vs leather? Maybe I will go that route... thanks for the link!

dthompson
07-13-2013, 01:52 PM
I like the vinyl, but I havent had it very long. TThe original leather was nice but it looked bad after about 10 years, looked real bad after 23 years! My old leather had tons of cracks where the color was gone, in the seat section. I expect that I will not have the same problem with the vinyl because the color is throughout the material. I took some pics so that you can see what my vinyl looks like.

Also, from the description on the SCP website, the leather version is not 100% leather. Not sure if it matters or not. I guess it is personal preference.

jjklongisland
07-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Wow, that looks real good. I think I might go vinyl as well. I am sure its more durable and hopefully will last longer like you said.

thanks for the photos.

dthompson
07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
thanks man, if you saw what I started with... you will know why i called it dirty bird project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_SLEgdu_g

jjklongisland
07-13-2013, 11:03 PM
thanks man, if you saw what I started with... you will know why i called it dirty bird project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_SLEgdu_g

Wow, awesome video, thanks so much for sharing. Crazy amount of work but sure worth it.

Ira R.
07-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Check out AutoMat in Hicksville. They are a bit expensive but do beautiful work. At the very least you will get a good price comparison.

Ira

jjklongisland
07-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Check out AutoMat in Hicksville. They are a bit expensive but do beautiful work. At the very least you will get a good price comparison.

Ira

thanks, I will look them up

TbirdSCFan
07-15-2013, 01:03 PM
The SCP kits are, as most are, leather seating surfaces and vinyl backing. At least thats what I purchased. Something you all should keep in mind and that is.. cloth is much nicer on your legs and rear end when you climb into a car thats been sitting out in 100+ heat. :eek:

IF they had offered it, I would recommend cloth+vinyl. FWIW, I've had leather+cloth in different SCs... guess what... the cloth has outlasted the leather/vinyl and is more comfortable. :rolleyes:

jjklongisland
07-15-2013, 01:27 PM
The SCP kits are, as most are, leather seating surfaces and vinyl backing. At least thats what I purchased. Something you all should keep in mind and that is.. cloth is much nicer on your legs and rear end when you climb into a car thats been sitting out in 100+ heat. :eek:

IF they had offered it, I would recommend cloth+vinyl. FWIW, I've had leather+cloth in different SCs... guess what... the cloth has outlasted the leather/vinyl and is more comfortable. :rolleyes:

I certainly agree but I also think the leather/vinyl has a more upscale appearance. For a car that I only plan on using as a pleasure cruiser with no more than 3000 miles on it per year I am not too concerned with the heat. With the limited use it will see it should last a very long time.

KMT
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
I also think the leather/vinyl has a more upscale appearance.

:) A 'bird without leather is just another two-door.

With the limited use it will see it should last a very long time.

Any upholstery will suffer if abused and/or neglected. Any additional upkeep is worth the effort. I think leather helps w/resale as well.

S_Mazza
07-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I actually like the cloth upholstery in my Bird. I have to say, it really wasn't bad for the time ... and it would actually be considered an upgrade to most new car fabrics I see. I went car shopping last year and I don't think the cloth in any of those cars beat the "mouse fur" or whatever you want to call it in my Thunderbird.

That said, I do like leather. It only hits 100 a couple of times a year, if that, in Pennsylvania. So I would probably go leather or leather / suede if I was spending the money on a kit.

Fortunately, my upholstery has held up great, with the only visible wear being the corner of the driver's side bolster.

MadMikeyL
07-15-2013, 05:40 PM
I will say I also much prefer cloth to leather or vinyl interior. Leather is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, it cracks, it wears out faster, and it doesn't hold you in the seat as well. Vinyl used to be the bottom of the barrel cheap-out option for cars, and despite the improvements made to it over the years, it still feels like a cheap knock-off of an uncomfortable seat material. The only leather seats I have ever liked were alcantara leather seats in a Subaru SVX that I had. Those were really nice, but alcantara leather is crazy expensive, so I'll stick with cloth. If the SCP kits came in cloth, I would be all over it!

S_Mazza
07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I will say I also much prefer cloth to leather or vinyl interior. Leather is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, it cracks, it wears out faster, and it doesn't hold you in the seat as well. Vinyl used to be the bottom of the barrel cheap-out option for cars, and despite the improvements made to it over the years, it still feels like a cheap knock-off of an uncomfortable seat material. The only leather seats I have ever liked were alcantara leather seats in a Subaru SVX that I had. Those were really nice, but alcantara leather is crazy expensive, so I'll stick with cloth. If the SCP kits came in cloth, I would be all over it!

I don't know if anyone has ever asked for them in cloth. There are some customizations available. I wouldn't be surprised if Bill at SCP can arrange some in cloth. However, I doubt it would be much, if any, cheaper than the vinyl option.

superdadsc
07-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I think a real nice cloth is the way to go. They are really soft and comfy, they aren't cold or hot and won't dru out. I had some cloth seats in nice condition from a non sc and they were really comfortable.

My 89 that I am adding a turbo to has black leather seats that aren't to bad but you know how that goes. I want to take them to a local guy and have him put in a nice black cloth!

LIVipers
07-15-2013, 11:50 PM
See I personally am a fan of the leather look because in my opinion it appears higher scale when looking at a car and seeing a leather interior, and also how it's so much easier to keep clean than cloth.

But then again, it's all a matter of personal preference

XxSlowpokexX
07-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I redid my interior mysel fusing a kit that spinning wheels sells. They are Mocha with black perferated inserts. I also had the thunderbird logo stitched on teh front seats. Looks SWEEEETT.

KMT
07-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Looks SWEEEETT.

Sounds sweet - Photos...?

LIVipers
07-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I redid my interior mysel fusing a kit that spinning wheels sells. They are Mocha with black perferated inserts. I also had the thunderbird logo stitched on teh front seats. Looks SWEEEETT.

Sounds similar to what Ira used in his 94....is it comparable? I know his interior looked mint