faster. tc or sc?

nervekiler

hey im now wondering what is faster beign stock? i always thought that it is obvious that a supercope is faster being stock than a turbocoupe is beign stock. but while i was reading on turboford.org i noticed that the turbocoupe owners dont think a supercoupe would stand a chance to a turbocoupe. i pointed out to them the power differances and even the 1/4 mile time differences but i still feel that they wont be convinced. so i am asking maybe a few of you to go to the link i provided at the bottom of the page, read up on it and FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR EXPRESSIONS ON THIS SUBJECT. :) thanks for the support.

http://ubb.turboford.org/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=017125

-frank

After reading that, I do agree that some people seem one sided. While I'm not going against the Turbo Coupes at all because I like the look of the fox bodies, I do think the SC is faster. The SC's make more HP, more Torque, but weigh more than the TC's. But even with the weight difference, I don't think it's enough of a difference that a TC will win.

For what I know about each car, I think stock against stock, the SC would win. That's just my opinion on the subject.

-Andy "Melon"

stock Turbo-Coupes would lose by a car or two for sure, especially the slower autos, maybe a SVO Mustang could keep up since its lighter

... now to click on your link and see what they said:D

On a turbo car, some washers on the waste gate, and, BOOM you now have a ton of boost. There is a guy in our area(Ontario) that has a TC. He dynoed it......nothing specail ,but the car seems fast, and some of the guys have seen him go. Ity's fast but it's not stock. Stock vs. stock the SC would win, no doubt!

I had a 1984 T-bird with a 5.0 and fuel injection, a 1986 Turbo Coupe and right now a 90 SC. So I have had three different varieties of birds so far. In order of fastest stock The SC, TC and then the 5.0. I really liked the Turbo Coupe because at the time it was a sweet looking ride. It was pretty fast for a 4 banger.

I do also have to say that every one that I have owned has felt like a heavy boat. The SC feels the lightest out of the bunch but that is most likely a result of the huge amount of torque that the 3.8 puts out. I know that by weight alone it is the heaviest. I never did anything to mod the TC because I didn't want to push the warranty issue being that it was a fairly complicated car at the time. I actually raced the 5.0 and the TC on the highway one time. The 5.0 would get the jump and get out in front of the TC but eventually the TC would catch up and walk by the 5.0.

I'm picking up a 95 5-speed that I just bought next week. I'm pretty excited about getting a 5-speed again.

Stock for Stock an SC will dust any year of TC.

Just my .02

Bob

Hmmm....

Sort of reminds me of a guy who posted a while back. He actually thinks that the 4.6 T-birds could beat an SC Stock for Stock. Not taking anything away from the 4.6, but some people live in a fictional world.:(
dirtybird91

Ehh well

I've owned numerous TC's, SC's as well as a few v8 Tbrids (an 87 sport) and two 87 xr7'7 v8's...All of the Sc's were mid 15's stock..All autos..The v8 bird and xr7's I didnt even bother bringing to the track..Far from performance machines..Probably high 16's at best....Although with an stock HO motor and exhaust they will run 14.4's:O)...My 87 TC ran a 15.2 stock..It was a 5 speed..quicker then the 86's...Of course AUTO TC's run god awfull #'s....And like I said..For under 10$ I ran well into the 14's.. 85 Bird 5.0 is TBI injected...VERY SLOW..I like the SC because overall it is a very nice car..Little luxury..Little speed..Looks nice..Unfortunately not a quick car...So yah Id say overall stock for stock an SC will be quicker..Not by much if its a good running TC..Put a few buck into the TC...It will blow an SC away....Of course...Yall shoulda got a v8:)

Well, the post started off nice, can't people not insult each other? I've never driven a TC, do they really have more build up potential?

In technical terms my TC... "sucked ass"

15lbs boost
Blowmasters with 5-speed dual exhaust Y-pipe setup
cam
custom 3.5" intake
3:73s
rebuilt turbo
some other crap

...the turd bucket dynoed like 160 to the wheels:rolleyes:
factory is like 160?? at the crank and 190 for 5-speeds

even a 4cyl Mustang could take that auto off the line and keep going, by "STOCK" times I'm assuming FACTORY tire pressure with FULL interior and UNTOUCHED by-pass valve lines with NO leaks:D

*oops, not by-pass, I meant waste-gate:rolleyes:

Last edited:
from what i understand the TC does have more buildup potential, but from looking at the board the past 2 or 3 months everyday to learn about em ( i own a TC). it sorta seems like an obsatcle to get the turbcoupes to 300HP. i know for a supercoupe it would be rather simple to get to 300HP (K&N cold air intake, mac intake tube, few exhuast mods, and the MP blower deal... those would take the SC up to and slighty past the 300HP mark (is this correct?)

dont get me wrong though, i love TC's.. but the reason i started this thread is becuase they actually think a stock TC is faster...:rolleyes:

POLL:
What would you rather do?
A. Give up your SC and get a TC and $5000 Dollars (pretend your SC is the last one on earth)
B. DIE

I choose B

Dood, in high school a good friend of mine had an 87- 88 Turdo Coupe. Actually, it was a very nice car, blue, with blue leather and a 5 speed. I drove the car at the local lot here first. I had at the time (and still do by the way) my 1987 Monte Carlo SS. I really liked the Turdo Coupes and wanted a TC or an SS.....well I bought the SS, and since I couldn't get myself to trade my SS for the TC I told my buddy about it. He bought it and run his chops about eatin' up my Monte. Well a stock Turbo Coupe couldn't even take my stock Monte SS. But it was a sweet car and I would but a TC today if I could find a nice one.

TC vs. XR-7 on Autobahn

I bought my '89 XR-7 new, & 30 days later, shipped it to Germany where I was being transferred. A few wks after getting my car back, I was on the autobahn one weekend, minding my own business, when this TC pulls up & wants to race. I'm pretty sure that he didn't know what my car was, but I knew his was a turbo 4. Well, we start racing from aournd 80. I figured that I'd be all over that TC in a matter of seconds. Well, I was wrong. That TC pulled every bit as hard as my XR-7. It was dead even, neither one of us could pull away from the other. The only way I took him, was on top end. He topped out at 142 & I topped out at 146! That really opened my eyes to the potential of the TC.

68COUGAR

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Stock for stock, TC loses every time.

But,
tbird3.jpg

tbird1.jpg

A couple of easy (and cheaper than SC) mods, and you got a car :)

This one ran 12's the day we bolted the new motor in at 17.5psi, no NOS, stock exhaust manifold.... about 4 years ago. Easy 11s if it wasn't pancaked a week later :D

Not too many SC's doing that NOW...

Back