MAX coolant temp you want to run

BKB

I have searched and came up with a few post but nothing that really answered my question. Its just plain nasty out right now with heat warnings in effect and very humid. My car has the stock 192' T-stat with underdrive pulleys and fan on temp of 200 and off at 196. Today with the A/C on it was always over 200 and would max out at 222'F. Now this was slow in town driving with lots of lights and sitting idling while I tuned also. I run 5-30 synthetic and 40psi is the lowest pressure I have ever seem at idle but at this temp it was 35psi. Newer cars and chevys run very hot but I don't know whats too hot. So what is the MAX continues temp you would want to run?
My car is a 94 mustang so it has a larger aftermarket rad but I have a huge 4" thick intercooler in front of it. Even at 222' car ran great and strong.

I've often wondered this myself.. This week its around 100f outside and i get a temp of 210f with the engine fan forced on low speed (ircm wire) and it jumps to 225f/230f within 2 minutes of turning on the a/c needles to say im driving my mustang to work until it cools off a little but i think thats too hot!

The stock setting for the fan doesn't even turn it on until 210 deg, 220 deg on a 94/5. The hotter the more efficient it is as long as you don't boil the coolant, that's bad.

The bad part comes when you have tuned the car with 170 deg temps in mind and now you are 50 deg hotter. The tune needs to be different, particularly if you are going to beat on it.

The main thing is if the system is stable at that temp. If you are used to running at 180 under a set of normal conditions, then if it climbs to 210 I would say something is wrong. This where the thermostat temp also comes into play. You would generally want to be within 30deg of your thermostat temp. If you go beyond that then this is a signal that your cooling system isn't capable and you have issues.

But if you are stable at 210 or 220, particularly when you have a 192 thermostat, I don't think you have any issues. Again, as long as it is basically stable (and taking into consideration the ambient temps).

The strange thing about my car is I will get a 15f hotter reading if my sending unit is in the stock location vs the ect location!

Back