1/4 mile ET Before & After Skinnies???

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Does anyone have a time slip from before and after skinnies? Currious what kind of reduction in ET they are typicaly worth on our cars?

It's all about weight reduction, right?

If you can cut 40# from stock tires, that may gain you .5 second, I think...

http://www.wallaceracing.com/wt-correction-et.php

1/2 second is a lot for only cutting 40 lbs., I think 1/10th is more like it if that. I was always told that for every 100 lbs. you cut it's worth 1/10th in the 1/4 mile. On another note cutting 1/10th off of your 60' time should net you 2/10th's at the big end.

1/2 second is a lot for only cutting 40 lbs., I think 1/10th is more like it if that. I was always told that for every 100 lbs. you cut it's worth 1/10th in the 1/4 mile. On another note cutting 1/10th off of your 60' time should net you 2/10th's at the big end.

Agreed...not .5 - I edited to .2 after running more numbers thru the calc. and suspect your .1 is more likely at the end of the day :)

Do we think there's anything to be gained by less rolling resistance on the front? Better weight distribution, etc., outside of weight alone?

True but other factors weight in here such as rolling resistance and rotating mass. Also on more powerful cars this doesnt always pan out. I'm sure the big brakes and big rim/tire combo Hurt a bit more than just adding additional weight

Most people run a tenth quicker. Really depends on what you have on the car. A set of 17" x 9" chrome cobra rs with 255s is a lot heavier than a stock wheel and tire, so the more weight you reduce the better your results will be.

David

I never did a skinny only run to see what the difference is, but I have seen people pick up no e.t., yet pick up 1 mph. Basically, they can't hurt.

Every setup is different, but my car typically drops two tenths running the 165R15/aluminum skinnies over my regular street wheels/tires.

Back