Easiest Engine removal

are you doing something unique that reiquires k member removal? engine removal should be from under the car ..drain fluids remove starter, trans bell housing, flexplate bolts on automatics, exhaust sys to manifold bolts..from up top. throttle cable linkage IC tubes and Intercooler. quik disconnect, fuel, AC lines (or unbolt compressor and move to the side with wire to preserve refridgerant. various connectors on wire harness (carefully as plastic is brittle)radiator, 13mm motor mount bolts. Left side motor mount has an additional bolt. remove hood or at least disconnect little hood shocks and prop open...heavy duty chain engine hoist/cherry picker and buddy and 6-12pk required. haynes manuals have the step by step. Some tool rental places rent the cherry picker or buy a foldable unit for around $200 with an online coupon at harbor freight.

13mm motor mount bolts. Left side motor mount has an additional bolt.

Since each side had a main long bolt that mates the lower part of the mount to the upper part, all you need to do in that example is remove them and then lift. Remove the 13mm bolts once the engine is out if needed.

I've pulled the engine both ways. Generally the only time I will drop the K-member to do it is if I junking a car and I want to pull both the engine and trans. If the engine is going back in, I find it much easier to drop the motor into the car from above than trying to lower the car back down over the engine, hoist the engine and K-member up, and then crawl underneath it to bolt the K-member back up.

Well sadly this car is going to be dismantled thou, other then a issue running right after reconnecting the battery (once it gets over that issue, it starts and runs smoothly) the car is a nice driving car. i just have 4 MN12's and least 2 at this time have got to go, one ('96 XR7) is being traded in, and my '89 XR7 (Rudolf) is being parted for spares for my '91 XR7 and '91 SC

i would also love to take the rocks and rear quarters too. but i think that may be a bit too much fun :)

The Car in Question:

to a few more photos

I would part out the 91SC before the 89XR7. To this day, I regret parting out my 89 XR7, and that car needed an engine and floor pans, and body work, and paint, and a grille, and window motors, but there was just something about it that the SC doesn't have. I completely understand having too many cars and not getting around to finishing any of them, but that car really doesnt seem like it needs much more than some paint, and to be driven.

yah it basically needs nothing, and the SC i think may need a Crank position sensor (hot start issue with everything but it changed, even thou it seemed to be a new OEM part!)

Also Since i own a '91 XR7 having a '91 SC seems to be a nice complementary car to go with it :) Even thou i am tempted to part the SC out awhile.. something about swaping in the engine into my '91 XR7 (heh wonder if i can do that on weekends only for a few hours and have it done by Spring of next year :) )

I'm sure it could be done. Since both cars are 91s, you won't have to change everything behind the dash, just the ECM and the wire for the tach, and then the whole engine harness. Personally, I would leave the 91XR7 a 5.0 though, and swap in a 5-speed and upgrade the heads, cam, and intake. Otherwise if both cars have the SC motor, and both have the 91-93 front end, they will both be practically the same car.

I'm sure it could be done. Since both cars are 91s, you won't have to change everything behind the dash, just the ECM and the wire for the tach, and then the whole engine harness. Personally, I would leave the 91XR7 a 5.0 though, and swap in a 5-speed and upgrade the heads, cam, and intake. Otherwise if both cars have the SC motor, and both have the 91-93 front end, they will both be practically the same car.

Also the IP wiring, since the 91XR7 was 5.0HO and didn't have the boost gauge (and Ford, in its infinite lack-of-wisdom, has almost NO pins in common between the Performance aka SC IP and the Sport aka XR7 IP. Grr .... )

While in there, I'd swap the socket for the flasher to the EP27 socket, so that LEDs could be used later. Or a less expensive flasher, in case the factory one quits ...

Here's a pinout for the EP27 ... http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/ep27_cross_reference_wm.jpg

Same functions as the factory flasher module, just uses the same socket as the canonical Bosch 40A relay. And as you can see from the list on the left of that image, a non-LED compatible is available for scads of cars. HIGHLY recommended to keep the flashers flashing!

RwP

Well Honestly to wire up the SC engine harness to work with the XR7's 5.0L Dash harness may not be exactly plug and plan, it wouldn't be all that bad to do in reality, as long as the plugs behind the passengers kick panel match up physically, some repining wouldn't be the end of the world to do. then it'll just mean swamping out the Tachometer for a Waste Spark version (or add in an tach adapter before the dash) and for the boost gauge, i have a dual A-pillar pod, which i could add a boost gauge and a Oil pressure gauge that's not a mechanical idiot light :rolleyes:

Also the front harness on the drivers side from the firewall forward will need to be changed out, since the '91 XR7's doesn't have the fusing/wiring for the cooling fan, ect. also the FP relay in in the IRCM for the SC, ect, ect. (or is the FP relay/AC relay/ABS pump Relay, ect) part of the engine harness?)

Click here for a single example of some wiring i do

Last edited:
Also MadMikeyL;

If you read the story in the link in my first post (added later thou) you see why i thought of the 3.8SC swap into my '91 XR7. also add in the fact that the 5.0L needs rebuilding (tried to over heat, even with new hoses, thermostat (ford), Water pump (Ford), and Radiator (Take a guess) that and it's pushing 200K miles on the clock.

The SC motor has like less then 100K miles on it, runs nice, and i have it. so it's the toss up of paying $2000+ to rebuild the 5.0L or taking the time to swap in the 3.8SC motor. but time is money too. And yes the whine of the SC is nice, but the rumble of the 5.0L is music to ones ears as while;)

Actually, you could use the info in the EVTM - since the 1991 EVTM shows both the 5.0HO and the 3.8SC.

There's several changes, but as you point out, some may not be that big a deal.

RwP

Actually, you could use the info in the EVTM - since the 1991 EVTM shows both the 5.0HO and the 3.8SC.

There's several changes, but as you point out, some may not be that big a deal.

RwP

I have the factory evtm and shop manual, bought them both soon after getting my '91 xr7 in 1997 :). I also used it to wiring up my car when I did the 5spd swap many a moons ago, and transmission wise it's done just like how the SC is setup with a 5spd. Triple function switch works, neutral switch works, ecu know when it's freewheeling or in gear. And everything goes through the factory connectors :).

SC will make more TQ and 5.0L are a dime a dozen. Good luck on whatever you decide!:D

But a 5.0l in an '91 cougar isn't thou, specially factory :). Only a hair over 3300 xr7's in 1991 :). But I think I'll try to get my wife to allow me to keep both '91's and just rebuild the 5.0l that's in it, honestly in stock form the car was vey fun to try, even with the tired 5.0l under the hood.

But a 5.0l in an '91 cougar isn't thou, specially factory :). Only a hair over 3300 xr7's in 1991 :). But I think I'll try to get my wife to allow me to keep both '91's and just rebuild the 5.0l that's in it, honestly in stock form the car was vey fun to try, even with the tired 5.0l under the hood.

Hunt up a 96 or so Explorer 5.0HO with the GT40 heads, and rebuild that to drop in :D:D

Win the lottery - there's a set of articles in Muscle Mustang & Fast Ford for a 383cid 302-sized build up. Would probably need a cowl on the hood to fit it, but that'd surprise a few people ...

RwP

I missed that the 5.0 was in need of rebuilding. I certainly understand the "I already have this engine" mentality. I really don't know what to tell you at that point. All I know is if I had a 91 XR7, I would keep a small-block ford in it, and if I had an 89XR7 that ran and drove, I definitely wouldn't part it out. Maybe you need a second job to fund your car hobby? Good luck whatever route you take. Just try not to do something that can't be undone and that you will regret down the road.

Well it's the "all ready have the engine" mentality, also the "This should save me money" mentality too. Since I have Mortgage payments, soon to be a new car payment (2013 Ford Fusion or Edge, which ever the wife an i decide on), and so forth. so another $2000+ to rebuild the 302 is kinda pushing it but i do think doable thou.

I would of tried to sell my '89 on here, but odds are of anyone wanting actually buy it would be slim to none? (I live up in Canada, West coast to be a fact) since it is like 24 years old, it shouldn't be a problem crossing the border as long as all the paper work is done right and on time.

I just don't need 4 cars, both the '89 XR7 and '91 SC i have tried to sell with only like $200-300 offers on them (No F'n way) My Wife did say i can keep my '91 XR7 since i brag so much about how fun it is to drive. and the fact she hasn't been scared.. er.. um.. Ridden in it yet :)

And hasn't this topic went off track after like the 3rd post, I'm guilty of doing it too:p

Last edited:
If it was me, I would part out the T-bird, convert the 89XR7 to a 5-speed, and drop an explorer 5.0 in the 91XR7. You should be able to get the explorer motor for well under what you can make parting out the bird.

And if you do that, then the easiest way to get the engine and trans out of the bird would be dropping the K-member, assuming you have access to a lift.

Last edited:
you don't like T-birds do you Madmikey? :) Heh Hence why i have three cougars, and if i didn't get the Bird for $300 i wouldn't have it either :)

Well i can honestly say the '89 may have a stay of execution for least a short period. #3 spark plug in my moms '99 Taurus wagon doesn't want to come out and it feels like the threads will be coming out of the head. So i need to fix that first.

If only my mom was willing to drive the '89 :) ( i tried, really i did, but it doesn't have the "trunk space")

Back