wtb/ opinion on couplers

figulaz

SCCoA Member
Some of the threads on this topic where a little older. Are new spring loaded couplers non existent? are all solid couplers created equal? Any leads on a used spring loaded coupler?

Just opinions

I have not run enough supercharged vehicles to know for sure, but these are the opinions I have heard on the matter.

-Solid Couplers have a better response, and are more reliable.

-Spring loaded couplers are quieter at idle.

Both solid and spring loaded couplers were used on SC's. The late model m90s use spring loaded while the early models use solid. I have only ever seen solid aftermarket units, but I havent looked around too much.

Personally the solid unit makes me more comfortable, fewer parts to fall off in the case nose and no metal parts.

I have not run enough supercharged vehicles to know for sure, but these are the opinions I have heard on the matter.

-Solid Couplers have a better response, and are more reliable.

-Spring loaded couplers are quieter at idle.

Both solid and spring loaded couplers were used on SC's. The late model m90s use spring loaded while the early models use solid. I have only ever seen solid aftermarket units, but I havent looked around too much.

Personally the solid unit makes me more comfortable, fewer parts to fall off in the case nose and no metal parts.

I think that's about right, but my early model had a spring loaded coupler. Eaton has been installing the spring loaded ones as recently as 2008 Cadillac CTS-Vs. But I think they also install solid ones. All the aftermarket ones I have seen are solid.

I think the important thing is that they both work.

I guess I'll go with solid unit as they're easier to find. Any experiences with $12 ebay units?

I think that's about right, but my early model had a spring loaded coupler. Eaton has been installing the spring loaded ones as recently as 2008 Cadillac CTS-Vs. But I think they also install solid ones. All the aftermarket ones I have seen are solid.

I know my 89 had a solid coupler. The car was abused enough when I bought it, so I could be wrong. The coupler appeared to be stock when I disassembled the m90.

Rough treatment can cause premature aging though...my liver is one example.:rolleyes:

I guess I'll go with solid unit as they're easier to find. Any experiences with $12 ebay units?

There is a few thousand gtp guys running them, I'm running the eBay coupler and so are quite a few on here.

Never heard of any problems

Back