anyone went turbo and kept a/c?

90tbirdsc

Pretty much what the title says, has anyone went turbo and kept a/c? If so do you have some pictures?

I would think the compressor would be in the way of running exhaust forward from the engine & exit back on that side. Most single turbos I have seen are mounted on the passenger side.

Ken

I would think the compressor would be in the way of running exhaust forward from the engine & exit back on that side. Most single turbos I have seen are mounted on the passenger side.

Ken

Mine will be drivers side, using stock manifolds. Up pipes and downpipe will run under the k member. Turbo will be where battery/factory ic was

Where else am I going to run them and keep ac?

Pipes will be coated with a coating at work to retain heat.

Dont keep a/c, its that simple. Trying to run pipes under the k memeber is a disaster, ask me how I know....... And I never attempted a down pipe. Turbos are exremely sensitive to exhaust back pressure. Bigger the downpipe the better. You werent serisouly considering a 3"+ pipe going under your k member were you? You can do whatever you want, Im just warning you. Some day you're going to hit something and destroy the whole setup.

If you NEEED A/C for a medical condition or something I guess keep it, but build a nice turbo setup then try to find a place to put an a/c compressor, but dont attempt buildnig around it.

Dont keep a/c, its that simple. Trying to run pipes under the k memeber is a disaster, ask me how I know....... And I never attempted a down pipe. Turbos are exremely sensitive to exhaust back pressure. Bigger the downpipe the better. You werent serisouly considering a 3"+ pipe going under your k member were you? You can do whatever you want, Im just warning you. Some day you're going to hit something and destroy the whole setup.

If you NEEED A/C for a medical condition or something I guess keep it, but build a nice turbo setup then try to find a place to put an a/c compressor, but dont attempt buildnig around it.

I was thinking a 4x2 approx squished 3" or 3.5 pipe under the k member for clearance. The car isint a daily driver and is oly driven on nice days and such. I see what you are saying but I think I can make it work. If all else fails I can just run the exhaust down and dump before the k member.

Remote mount turbo would be the only reasonable way to turbo an SC and hope to retain A/C.

I really don't see why no one has kept ac yet. Not like a running oval down pipe and up pipes under the k member is going to cause nuclear war. My car isint lowered and won't be in the future either. If it scrapes it scrapes. I also won't be going over speedbumps or stuff like that.

I really don't see why no one has kept ac yet. Not like a running oval down pipe and up pipes under the k member is going to cause nuclear war. My car isint lowered and won't be in the future either. If it scrapes it scrapes. I also won't be going over speedbumps or stuff like that.

Nothing is impossible to make work but your asking a question to knowledgable guys who have already tried diffrent ways of mounting a turbo. Corey is one the most knowledgable guy here on turboing a SC and if he recommended to me not to run a sytem a certain way, I would except that he know the problems. PM him directly and Im sure he would share his experences with you. By the way I live in Nebraska too and I dont have AC

Ken

Nothing is impossible to make work but your asking a question to knowledgable guys who have already tried diffrent ways of mounting a turbo. Corey is one the most knowledgable guy here on turboing a SC and if he recommended to me not to run a sytem a certain way, I would except that he know the problems. PM him directly and Im sure he would share his experences with you. By the way I live in Nebraska too and I dont have AC

Ken

I can live without it. I didn't have it the first year I had my sc. I'd just like to have it.

I can live without it. I didn't have it the first year I had my sc. I'd just like to have it.

Even if you managed to find space to fit the AC compressor and condenser coil, you would quickly find out that with an air to air FMIC sitting in front of your radiator and all the extra heat under the hood from the turbo and hot side pipes...... you would not have enough engine cooling capacity to run the AC anyway.

David

Even if you managed to find space to fit the AC compressor and condenser coil, you would quickly find out that with an air to air FMIC sitting in front of your radiator and all the extra heat under the hood from the turbo and hot side pipes...... you would not have enough engine cooling capacity to run the AC anyway.

David

So very true. You should listen to these guys. It will save reinventing the wheel. Given a choice between AC and a performance car, I chose a performance car. Lots of things sound easy, but than if it was easy we all would have 500 horse monsters

Ken

I think it's a great idea.....you can definitely get it done. Don't let these know it alls drag you down:rolleyes:

David

The coatings that will be on the pipes will allow me to tap them with my hand after a 1/4 pass. It's on my Dirtbike header and I can be wot for a few seconds and stop and grab it and not be burned. Before coating it would glow red and cause burns if you just got close. Plus I can heatwrap over that coating and throw a turbo blanket over the turbo to help out as well.

If I don't have ac then so be it but no one has tried to keep it and see if it works.

I just have questions on turbo sizing and fuel and maf stuff.

The coatings that will be on the pipes will allow me to tap them with my hand after a 1/4 pass. It's on my Dirtbike header and I can be wot for a few seconds and stop and grab it and not be burned. Before coating it would glow red and cause burns if you just got close. Plus I can heatwrap over that coating and throw a turbo blanket over the turbo to help out as well.

If I don't have ac then so be it but no one has tried to keep it and see if it works.

I just have questions on turbo sizing and fuel and maf stuff.

I tried to keep it on my 93 SC when I did the turbocharged v8 swap. All the pipes clear the compressor and there is space between the radiator and FMIC for the condensor coil, but motor ran too hot for my liking even with the AC off, so I ditched it.

What are you planning to do for an intake manifold ? What type of intercooler ? Draw through or blow through MAF ?

David

I tried to keep it on my 93 SC when I did the turbocharged v8 swap. All the pipes clear the compressor and there is space between the radiator and FMIC for the condensor coil, but motor ran too hot for my liking even with the AC off, so I ditched it.

What are you planning to do for an intake manifold ? What type of intercooler ? Draw through or blow through MAF ?

David

N/A 3.8 single port lower. Boxed upper, either gunna cnc it 2pc billet 6061 or weld up something. 75mm tb, keep my same Fmic 31x11x3 its rated to 550hp. I think I'm going to do a blow through with a slot maf or keep my Lmaf and do a draw thru. Draw through would be pretty easy and wouldn't need to buy anything.

Back