1990 sc won't go into high gear

jack

When I bought the car the guy told me there was some sort if a clip in a cluster pack md that it had built up so much pressure that it blew and not the car won't go Into high gear, have you guys heard tell of this before? Is it fixable?

I am assuming this is an auto?

Assuming it is an auto the over drive band is weak and they do fail from up shifting at wide open throttle (WOT).

Sorry, yes it is an auto, and the guy told me it was something that happens when you were going almost as fast as the car would go... How big of a job is it to repair it and how much is the parts?

Sorry, yes it is an auto, and the guy told me it was something that happens when you were going almost as fast as the car would go... How big of a job is it to repair it and how much is the parts?

Chance are, as Todd said, the OD band is trashed from WOT into overdrive. Take it to a transmission shop to confirm this. Also, WOT on these cars shouldn't really be done as it leads to what happened with your tranny. OD lockout would be ideal to prevent this in the future

Just a long shot here. If you have an AOD, check the grommet by the Throttle Body. There's a AOD attachment which if it comes undone, will cause bad shifting in overdrive. I had a 90 SC and it happen to me. The grommet is nylon or plastic something like that and it breaks down and will let the AOD attachment go. In my area I went to Ford and got a new grommet and it fixed the problem.

Back