1989 Cougar starting problems

MrPab911

Hey guys, I have a 89 cougar that has been parked for eight years. Started maybe four years ago and ran fine. My 17 year old son is ready for his car and it won't start. :confused:

It will crank and then it sounds like the starter spins. We brought the starter in and it tested fine. I replaced the starter solenoid. Checked for spark and it has spark but I'm out of ideas any help would make my son very happy. I'll post I video once I upload it to photobucket.

Btw we have hopes of turning it into a super coupe :)

You have spark, so then it must be a fuel issue.....

Do you have good fuel pressure at the fuel rail....

Try using some starter fluid while cranking....

I'll have to get a f/p gauge and check at the rail. I think I heard the fuel pump working. Ill also get some starting fluid. Thanks!!:)

OK, zero fuel pressure. It did kick over with a little starting fluid.

Where to go next?
fuel pump (big job)
fuel pump relay

Thanks again for any advice

Check the relay first, easy....

Check for power at the pump, a bit harder.....

Replacing fuel pump, a pain.....:rolleyes:

And to add to The-Big-E - pull and replace the fuel filter.

It's not impossible that it's plugged up solid.

RwP

I forgot about that....:rolleyes:

Disconnect the filter on the pump side....

Turn ignition on and see if you get a good steady stream of fuel....

Thanks guys!!

Checked the relay it seems fine. Jumped it to try starting the fuel pump and I dont hear a thing. On my next day off we'll drop the tank and check for power at the pump.

OK, finally got to replacing the fuel pump. Yeah it was a ~~~~! But it's done. I put about four gallons of gas and tried starting it with no luck. Digital gauge still says E :( how much gas should I put in at first?

Does the fan come on as soon as you turn the key on and stay running as long as its on? That is a sign that the computer is not working. Get a "noid" testing set from AZ, Advanced (rent) to test if you have injector pulse.Fuel pump should turn on for a few seconds when you turn the key on (you should be able to hear it). If not also signs of comp problem. I am assuming you put a new battery in after 4-8 yrs, check to see if the smaller ground wire with a barrel connector between the core support and battery is connected, that is the computer main ground, that can get damaged if not careful with batt R & R. Also, check the impact fuel shut off in the trunk may be as simple as it being tripped.
Adam

Last edited:
I do hear the fuel pump. ~It was a new battery back in July but it needs to be charged now. ~I was jumping it off my truck.

I'll check the fan and hope it's not a computer problem. ~When you say fan I'm assuming the vent fans, correct?

I don't have a fp gauge but did depress the Schroeder valve and fuel came out.
I'm also afraid of putting too much more gas in incase I have to pull the tank again. I couldnot get a hose into the tank to syphon gas.

I'll check the fan and hope it's not a computer problem. ~When you say fan I'm assuming the vent fans, correct?

He is talking about the cooling fan for the engine. One that comes on when the key is turned to the run position indicates a non working EEC. The fuse for the EEC is inside the IRCM. Your IRCM might be bad instead of the computer. But, I believe someone mentioned to check all the grounds and check for injector pulse. I would start there as those are very simple things to check.

I'm confused, its a mechanical fan not electric. I'm going to get a noid test kit and try that.

With starter fluid the car did kick over for a couple of seconds..if that indicates anything...or if that eliminates anything..

The Engine cooling fan is electric, not mechanical. I don't think you could convert it to mechanical and it function correctly.
I'm thinking your not getting any injector pulse. My car did the same. It would crank, there was spark, just no fuel going in. My EEC was fried. A new one fixed it. But, yours might be simply a ground off, or your IRCM isn't functioning correctly.

My bad, You said you have a cougar that your hoping to turn into an SC.
So you have just have a base model cougar then correct?
If so, than I'm not fimiliar on there computer because I'm pretty sure they are not the same. You also have a fuse for the injectors in the fuse block under the hood if you have a cougar that is not the XR7 model

Last edited:
My bad, You said you have a cougar that your hoping to turn into an SC.
So you have just a base model cougar then correct?
If so, than I'm not fimiliar on there computer because I'm pretty sure they are not the same. You also have a fuse for te injectors in the fuse block under the hood if you have a cougar that Is not the XR7 model.

LOL, thanks I thought I was loosing my mind. I got out the manual and found that the SC had electric fans. Yes its just a plain ole 3.8 LS :(

I will check fuse and get the noid tester.

Thanks again for everyone offering help to us.

LOL, thanks I thought I was loosing my mind. I got out the manual and found that the SC had electric fans. Yes its just a plain ole 3.8 LS :(

I will check fuse and get the noid tester.

Thanks again for everyone offering help to us.

No problem. Yours should be much easier to get going than the XR7 or SC. Something else to check would be the ECT sensor. It controls injectors in a way as well.
Also look at the injector harness, for some reason mice/rats seem to love the injector harness more than others... I worked in a ford dealership that was kinda out In the country, people would have their cars towed in because of them not starting. About 80% of the ones I looked at had the injector wiring harness chewed close to the injector connector.

I'm confused, its a mechanical fan not electric. I'm going to get a noid test kit and try that.

With starter fluid the car did kick over for a couple of seconds..if that indicates anything...or if that eliminates anything..

Ah.

Your 1989 Cougar is not an XR7.

The XR7, like the Thunderbird SC, uses an electric fan.

This is a SC (and hence 1989-1990 XR7) site.

Without being specific, you'll usually get SC-specific answers that may, or may not, fit your car.

That's why THAT confusion came along - the 1989 XR7 was electric fan, the 1989 LS was not.

RwP

Back