PDA

View Full Version : Good night at the track!

Quik95SC
07-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Went to our local 1/8 mile track to practice on th elights and work on my 60ft times and it seemd to pay off nicely.
Weather was about 80 very low humidity, so it seemed very nice for a July night.

What I really liked was the consistancy the car ran all night.
Over the 7 runs I made all were within .045 of each other from a 7.65 to a 7.69. with 3 straight 7.67's.

No complaints here! Simply go back to the pits, empty ice box of cool water and refill with ice, ready to go for next round! Love my Air to water intercooler!!

The highlight of the evening was a new PB in the 1/8th mile with a 7.65 @ 88.69 mph with a 1.63 60ft time, :D which is what really surprised me, since my previous best 60ft. was around 1.75 or so. (Still using the 17X9 Cobra R' with street tires for the front till I get those 17" lincoln spares from a member on here.)

Ended up winning $26 for making it into the semi final round, but had a terrible light and couldn't make up the difference.

Oh well, very please for the first time out all season! Can't wait for the shootout!

Smitty

XR7 Dave
07-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Nice job Smitty, looks like you have an 11.xx in there waiting to get out.

jjklongisland
07-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Nice consistent running... Looks like you got her dialed in...

Quik95SC
08-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Well made it out to the local track againon Friday night, just too see if the last outing was a fluke and apparently it wasn't!:D

Car ran consistant all night with 8 runs ranging from a 7.69 to a 7.65 , with 3 straight 7.67's all with 1.63-1.66 60 ft times, so it ran the same as it did a few weeks ago, which makes me very happy.

Made it to the semis again, but can't seem to get past those, with too slow of a light. In my defense the guy I raced cut a .510 light, so not much room to play with there!

Looking forward to some 1/4 mile runs at the shootout.

Smitty

Ira R.
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Those are great numbers. Looking forward to see the car run the full quarter.

Ira

SCrazy
08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Smitty

I'm curious about how you run your IC.....if I remember correctly you were running IATs in the 70s even when it was hot out, below ambient temp.

When do you start the pump? In staging lane, just before burnout, after burnout?? Wondering if precooling the IC is advantageous?

I've been turning on my pump just before burnout and seeing IATs at about 10deg above ambient temp and 20lbs of ice is completely melted at the end of the run, water is still cool in the tank.

My though is if I turned the pump on while in the staging lane and really cooled the IC down before getting into the water box, would that help.

I don't really know and haven't had enough time to really play with it yet.

Quik95SC
08-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Smitty

I'm curious about how you run your IC.....if I remember correctly you were running IATs in the 70s even when it was hot out, below ambient temp.

When do you start the pump? In staging lane, just before burnout, after burnout?? Wondering if precooling the IC is advantageous?

I've been turning on my pump just before burnout and seeing IATs at about 10deg above ambient temp and 20lbs of ice is completely melted at the end of the run, water is still cool in the tank.

My though is if I turned the pump on while in the staging lane and really cooled the IC down before getting into the water box, would that help.

I don't really know and haven't had enough time to really play with it yet.

Brian,
After every run I drain about 3/4 of the cool water and fill it with ice. Turn the key and switch on and run it for about 20-30 seconds, then turn my switch off. Go to the staging lanes and turn switch back on. I try and run the car the least I can while moving through staging lanes. Once I go to enter the track the pump is on and running the entire time so however long it takes to do the burnout, stage and launch, make the run and return to pits, the pump is running the entire time.

Like you the water is still cool in the waterbox, but all ice is melted, even after an short 1/8th mile run.

But, and this might be a big but, I am still running a 2 nozzle meth kit and one of the nozzles is just before the IAT which may be squewing my IAT's a little to the cold side.

Smitty

SCrazy
08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
It certainly sounds like you are running your pump much earlier than I am.....I'm going to give it a try and see if it makes any difference.

JT's03
08-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Good job:cool:

Sounds like the parts are working very good together to run the number under 90mph. This with a m-90 blower?

nmcbchief
08-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Come on up to Paducah some Saturday night. 1/8th mile track but its a really nice setup. I am there just about every weekend.

Quik95SC
08-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Good job:cool:

Sounds like the parts are working very good together to run the number under 90mph. This with a m-90 blower?

Yeah it is my 8 year old MPIII I won at the Oklahoma Shootout in 2005!:eek:

Only thing done to it is change the coupler once and paint it twice!

Like I was telling Dave D, I think the 3000 stall converter is finally loosening up after 2 years of very little track time, because until this year my best 60ft was only 1.75, now I consistantly see 1.63's. :D

Smitty

Quik95SC
08-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Come on up to Paducah some Saturday night. 1/8th mile track but its a really nice setup. I am there just about every weekend.

Randy,
I have heard it is a really nice track, and only about a year old. I will try and see if I can squeeze up there before the shootout. Perhaps the 14th or 21st of September. I will be out of town on the 7th and too close to the shootout for me on the 28th!

Do they have a web site? Nevermind I found it, but looks like they are closed on the 14th and a special event on the 21st, so it may not happen before the shootout.

Smitty

Quik95SC
08-28-2013, 08:59 AM
It certainly sounds like you are running your pump much earlier than I am.....I'm going to give it a try and see if it makes any difference.

It is funny how much of a difference in temp there is in the blower outlet piping going to the intercooler and the return piping going into the manifold.

The outlet pipe I can't keep my hand on at all, but the return pipe I can hold my hand on there for as long as I want and still not be very hot!

Was going to take a temp difference reading, but my IR temp gauge needs batteries!

Oh, and I have never used a fan on the heat exchanger, for 1 not very much room and 2, never saw a need for it yet. I would obviously need it if I didn't have the Ice box or ran road courses or something like that.

I think another thing that helps is that during the burnout my Meth kit runs which may really be helping keep the intake temps cooler before the actual run itself granted it is barely on, but you never know.