91 5.0 sport overheating issues

turshin

Hi everyone. As stated I have a 91 sport 5.0. The car has overheating issues. I took it in to get the ac serviced. We were finding out thag the compressor was shutting off because the car was running warm. Changed the thermostat, waterpump, and flushed the radiator as it wasn't leaking so im assuming its good. But even still then it was still running warn. So we went all the way and changed the head gaskets. Still running warm and shutting off the ac compressor. My mechanic looked at the pulleys and found it underdrive pulleys. He thinks that is the culprit but I dont think so. Cause I have underdrives on my fox and it never overheats. It has low miles for 91 only 110k. But with even that im thinking the clutch fan is giving out which is the only thing I can think of. If this is the case tben im taking it off and going to an electric setup. Im getting aggrivated because I just got the car. Thank in advance for any Input.

Is the clutch in the fan wet/dirty?

I would have replaced it first, long before water pump and heads...

If you're going to electric, first upgrade your alternator, then do the Big 3 (or do both at the same time), THEN ... convert to a Mark VIII fan with a proper controller and a 200A continuous duty relay.

RwP

I'll add that in proper condition, the 5.0HO can keep cool enough.

DO be sure that you swap to a new gauge sending unit.

RwP

My old 92 5.0 never ran hot under any circumstances

I would flush out the entire cooling system and replace the thermostat with a 195

you should have bolted on a set of heads while u had her apart

On my 93 I have a stock replacement radiator($120) 180* T Stat and I finally got rid of the mechanical fan for a 16" electric. So much easier to work on now. I put a 195* grounding type temp sensor in the coolant neck to trigger a relay for the fan. Mine runs at the lower line for the NORM range when cruising and when sitting still the fan will come on at the N in NORM and keep the temp there. I tapped the ignition coil power wire in the under hood fuse box for the relay so the fan doesn't stay on when the key is off.

Only thing I have to do now is wire another relay so when I turn the AC on the fan will come on to keep the pressure down in the AC system when sitting still.

So what all do I need for the mark viii electric fan conversion?
The more detailed the better.
And also thanks guys for not being ~~~~~~~s cause my car isn't an sc

Back