Ballooned Converter

JT's03

Hey guys, wrapping up my new converter install in the garage today and wanted to share some pics of my old RevMax Nitrous Converter with you guys. I was going to upgrade to their billet cover converter but due to their lousy customer service I had to take my business else where (Edge Racing Converters).

The converter Case used to be the same color as the mounting plate, bright red. Due to excessive heat the red paint is now black. I haven't had a professional say the converter is ballooned for sure but the tell tale sign for me was the tach welds on the out side of mounting plate show signs of expansion. Luckily I caught this before it done any damage to my engine, namely the crank thrust bearing. I checked the play and it is with in spec although I have not yet confirmed this with my engine builder. Also notice the discoloration on the hub. you can clearly see the purple heat ring.

From my conversation with a ptc dealer the main causes could be holding it too long on transbrake, very inefficient converter, or something inside the converter is broken. Since I have no transbrake I assume either something is broken or the converter in inefficient. I calculated the slip to be in the 26% range. I don't have access to the high dollar balancing machinery but comparing it to my new converter this unit definatly feels out of balance or not as balanced with some simple tests.

On to pics...

Attachments

• ballooned.jpg
    ballooned.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 210
  • ballooned2.jpg
    ballooned2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 187
  • ballooned3.jpg
    ballooned3.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I too have an edge convertor

I went to them a bunch of years ago and have been very happy with them. I love the fact that you can send it back and they will go thru it for you. This is a great place to do business with. I have been beating the stuff out of one with a ton of horse power from a big block and it has done a great job of keeping up with it. That is with a 4500 stall and coming off a trans brake as well....This is a good product.....Rich

Revmax is a joke! Not just because my converter with anti ballooning plates ballooned, their customer service sucks. They would not service their own product but instead tried to push a new unit on me. I was going to buy their billet piece but after calling and inquiring on it the guy was very rude and practically hung the phone up on me. What he said to me while on the phone took the cake. Told him my entire setup and what I needed the converter to do and my goal to run 100-105mph in the 1/8th. I asked will your converter hold up to this and be able to couple on a turbo car, and he could not guarantee it could. He quote unquote said " not all setups are put together correctly and I have no idea what it will run". Knowing what I know getting the right converter in a turbo car is critical as to how it will perform on the track. Needs to be loose enough to spool on the line but tight enough to couple up top.

Edge on the other hand took the time answered all of my questions and was extremely nice on the phone. told him my goal and he said that would not be a problem at all with his converter and in fact my goal was very generous considering what my car made on the dyno through an inferior converter. After speaking with Andre and him giving me his guarantee I basically told him to do what he needs to do and left it in his hands.

Back