1990 dash bezel color??? black or gray

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
It has recently been discovered that 1990 SCs came with both black and gray dash bezels. According to Ed, the part number for the 89 and 90s are the same, meaning that they "should" be gray, but there are some 1990's that apparently came with black bezels....my low mile Anny and another low mile Anny that was recently for sale. I suspect that later build dates may have transitioned to the black bezels.

Anyway, I'm looking for bezel color and build date to try and determine if my theory is right.

My Anny has a black bezel. I'll update the build date when I get back home.

Did you do a car fax on this car? Not trying to scare ya. Just curious.
I know I did when I bought it I ran a carfax and I'm not scared. I've already seen other examples with a black bezel. Even if one of the two previous owners changed the bezel for "looks", I have a pristine gray bezel in one of my Cougars that I can swap.

The black definitely looks better, but if it is not correct, I'll make the change.

My Anny had a grey cluster bezel when it came into my possession - build date: 3/90. Auto trans.

Last edited:
I have visions of Kurt waking up in the middle of the night for the last week in a cold sweat screaming about black bezels:D

Lol. My Annie is gray I'll check the build, now swapped to black along with a 145mph. Speedo mod. Same odometer. But I bet folks will be scared when I sell it. Good thing I got Carfax keeping track of the odo at inspections etc.. But really my Annie will either be wrecked by me or crushed at this point, it has little collector value at this point, just a cool factor I think. Chris Wise will probably have the same feelings..

My 89 has black and it is the original one. That kinda blows the idea out of the water.

Had 2 89s with Black and one for sure was purchased that way back in 89.

will check when I get home

Kurt, I will check all five 35th's when I get home and see what color I find with build dates... I have not looked inside a few of them for a while now so it would do me good to open them all up....Rich

Did you inspect the heads of the screw by the cluster for evidence that they have been removed? Also I would remove the rear speakers and reach down inside the quarter panel to see if you find any seaweed or evidence that the car has been under water? That is a great place for trapping sand, etc...

Just to be clear, we are talking about the plastic that surrounds the actual instruments, correct? And not the panel that surrounds the headlight switch and radio.

Yeah the gauge cluster bezel the one.that says boost on the plastic.

89 cars had a chrome pinstripe all around the other plastics. And chrome buttons on the hvac and radio, ok not all radios.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the plastic that surrounds the actual instruments, correct? And not the panel that surrounds the headlight switch and radio.

OMG....is that a different color too?

Sorry Kurt but I'm having fun with this.

Bezels

Any correlation between sunroof cars (black bezels) and solid roof cars (grey)? For what its worth, my 89, June build date, has a grey bezel. Checked the screws and the dash has not been removed (of course I am the only one that would have done that).

Well, mine has the moonroof, but it looks to be the dealer option one, as it has a different switch than that in my 92.

No need to apologize Brian. I'm just curious now. It seems there is all kinds of variations out there.

The sunroof switch on earlier cars look cheap but they are ford. As long as it has the chrome trim on the glass you have a factory roof.
Another way is to open it is the edge of the roof painted? Aftermarket have a trim around the opening. Also the factory headliner is pretty distinct and has a cover to access the motor. The aftermarket roofs don't have that detail.

The map light are on the rear view mirror.

The sunroof switch on earlier cars look cheap but they are ford. As long as it has the chrome trim on the glass you have a factory roof.
Another way is to open it is the edge of the roof painted? Aftermarket have a trim around the opening. Also the factory headliner is pretty distinct and has a cover to access the motor. The aftermarket roofs don't have that detail.

The map light are on the rear view mirror.
Everything looks factory except the switch, which I guess is the early factory switch.

Back