headliner question

bumpskier45

last night I removed my headliner because the cloth was falling off,mostly in the back due to a leak from the glass.Anyway,I got all the cloth off the foam is still intact and in good shape.I watched a video the other night on repair's to them and it said to remove the old foam too,mine is in really good shape and on there very well,would it be ok for me to just purchase some cloth and just put the cloth on the existing foam? not sure if the adhesive I am thinking of using would soak into that foam or not,its the same adhesive im using to put down the carpet.

The fiberglass under the foam is what is needed to adhere too. The foam will not hold the fabric.

The Fabric is applied to the foam with a process that cannot be done by hand.

thanks we have one of those places here too. I am in the process of taking the old foam stuff off with a wire brush,I am getting most of the what I like to call soft or squishy stuff,however to get down to the yellow fiberglass part is taking a bit of effort,is it ok to get off just the foam part,there are still patch's of green from the foam but it seems to be very hard,and very hard to get off,when I take it all if it really seems to dig deep into the fiberglass portion and leaves it looking like a really tightly woven insulation looking. Not sure if I am describing that correctly I can take a pic if need be.

The cleaner it is the better the new headliner tends to hold. If there is some hard foam left and that is the best it seems to want to come you can either leave it or call it quits and take it to an interior shop. If you have a local shop you may be able to take it to them and get a few hints and possibly some of their adhesive depending on how nice they are and how nice you are to them. Let them know you were trying it on your own and would like to finish it on your own or at the very least watch them apply it and learn from them. Some times tha some and sometimes not.

found the material at Jo-ann's good call man. there was these flat thin sheets of cardboard that fell off when I removed the old headliner,those should be reglued correct. And I also have to glue the board to the metal roof as well dont I? or is it held up with the dome light,clips,and visors?

I was poking around trying to find some good info on replacing the headliner bits. I'll hit Jo-Anns for the fabric as suggested. My question is what is the easiest way to get the entire headliner out of the car without damaging it? Seems like every time I have tried to do it something was in the way unless the front windshield was out? Advice please.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the windshield out comment. I tried taking several headliners out of junkyard cars at one time and they don't physically fit out the door opening without tweaking the backing board to the point that you can see the damage on the fabric side.
I took one out of a car with a blown out windshield with no issue.

I need to replace the windshield anyway, maybe I can take it out then. I've never tried to remove the windshield any tips from anyone?

Also can the headliner material be replaced while its in the car?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the windshield out comment. I tried taking several headliners out of junkyard cars at one time and they don't physically fit out the door opening without tweaking the backing board to the point that you can see the damage on the fabric side.
I took one out of a car with a blown out windshield with no issue.

I was able to take mine out a few years ago to get it re-done and although it was a struggle I did it without bending/kinking it as your describe. After having my rollbar installed I again had to take it out and put it back in. A little tougher with the bar but I was still able to do it again without bending/kinking it. Patience is your best helper when doing it..............:rolleyes:

Hint: Remove all of the door trim/sail panels and the seats to give you the most room possible..............

Last edited:
I was able to take mine out a few years ago to get it re-done and although it was a struggle I did it without bending/kinking it as your describe. After having my rollbar installed I again had to take it out and put it back in. A little tougher with the bar but I was still able to do it again without bending/kinking it. Patience is your best helper when doing it..............:rolleyes:

Any special angle or something? Were the seats in or out? I'm thinking with the seats out maybe the angle from door corner to corner would work. I've just never tried it that way.

Kurt Sunday and I were successfully able to get my headliner out. I peeled all of the old material off and in places it pulled the padding and in others it didn't. Anyone have an easy solution for getting the rest of the padding off? I have a few mouse issues with this headliner but it is repairable with some foam and fiberglass.

As you've discovered, with the seats laid back, a Tbird headliner will fit through the door opening without much trouble. A Cougar headliner is about 200 times more frustrating. ;)

I've always purchased my headliner fabric and adhesive from www.yourautotrim.com.

Back