Did I imagine this part?

S_Mazza

Hello all. I once owned a 1989 Thunderbird, base model, Crystal Blue Clearcoat Metallic. (It was nice until it rusted to bits!)

Anyway, I dimly remember a part that came with this car, but I don't remember seeing it on any of my SCs. The base model had a starter relay on the driver's side inner fender, just like the SC cars. I sort of think that there was a plastic cap that covered the two large terminals to prevent accidental operation of the starter. Maybe a maroon plastic?

Does anyone remember seeing one of those?

Are you sure you're not thinking of the maroon plastic cap down at the starter?

Last edited:
Are you sure you're not thinking of the maroon plastic cap down at the starter?

No, I'm not sure! That's why I am asking any and all. Just curious. I do remember the cap on the starter solenoid (at the starter). But I really think my 1989 had a cap at the relay on the fender as well.

A thought just occurred to me. Is the spacing of the terminals the same on both parts? Could it be that someone just put the thing back in the wrong place?

Can't remember ever seeing that on a Ford (though it would make sense for it to be a thing). My '90 Base V6 didn't have one when I got it at ~33k miles.

My 95 f-150 had one over that solenoid, My dads cougar(95xr7) and my cougar(90 xr7) has it as well. You are correct, it is maroon and almost is a "Y" type molded plastic.

Thanks, all, for the replies. I will see if I can locate a picture of one from the F-150. (Low priority, but interesting.)

Back