Turbo 4.3 track times

JT's03

Car felt good, pulled straight, and hard. 14.5-15lb, timing locked at 16*, foot braking to 2400rpm launch, NO 2 step on the car. 3460lb with driver.

8/9/2013
1st pass 1.98, 7.99, 93.23 (got out of it) 8:12pm
2nd pass 1.81, 7.33, 97.72 9:03pm
3rdpass 1.82, 7.31, 98.21 9:45 pm
4th pass 1.77, 7.23, 98.53 10:03pm

This was at motormile dragway. Listed the times in case anyone wanted to look up da.

Need to mess with fueling and spark, I think the car has 6.90's in it as is with better 60'. This converter has plenty of room to be loosened down low. Was shifting around 6200rpm.

The new converter is pretty tight so I couldn't build boost. Going to try the 2 step when I go back on the 23rd and give it a lot more timing. I also need to check out my final pass log to see what it did with fuel. I think it was pig rich on the launch.

Yep, pig rich on launch. This maf curve needs a LOT of work!

2 and 3, 4th run is still on the livewire but will post it in a little while. Also shows my throttle is not opening past 720 counts because the converter is locking in 3rd. I've got a lot of work to do before the 23rd.

Attachments

• 8-9-13track2.csv
    88.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 8-9-13track3.csv
    50.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Here is the slip. DA was in the 3500 range. This would be not very good air correct?

Attachments

• timeslip.jpg
    timeslip.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Headed back tonight to try and dial the car in a bit. Gunning for a 6 sec slip. Dalke modified the tune for me and the car should respond much better through the entire rpm range, especially at launch.

Hey bring that bad boy out to waynesboro on sunday for the east coast street outlaw no prep race at eastside speedway. Facebook page east coast street machines. Gonna try to get the marauder down there to make some test hits.

Chris, I would but have a busy week next week. Plus the kids start back to school on Monday.

I didn't beat my pb from the other week but did gain mph. Got it up to 101mph. I am very rusty and need to make some modifications to the car. Need to install 2 step and modify the throttle cable. Also need to install my 3 bar map for datalog because I have no idea how much boost I was running. I originally cut the boost back a little to get it back to around 15psi.

1st pass of the night netted the best et (1.75, 7.25, 99mph). It rained after first pass and track would not hold the car at the line, kept pushing the car through the beams which would trigger the timer before I was ready causing really bad 60's in the 1.8-2.1 range. I made one real strong pass and the timer did not record my time for some reason.

Here is a screen shot of my throttle position of my first pass vs rpm. Notice how much I'm letting off the throttle, this is also causing the car to shift way too early. I need practice bad! Also should have some video of this run, will post when it goes up.

Edit: 1-2 5820rpm, 2-3 5630rpm, I'm thinking with this cam it should be shifting between 6000-6200rpm? (Dave)

Attachments

• track1.jpg
    track1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
lol, Much better tonight! Was able to keep throttle floored the entire time. Made 2 passes before I got the BOOT! Said I need a cage but would allow me to run if I got a sfi fire jacket and wear jeans instead of shorts:eek:.

1st pass 1.77, 7.20, 100.58 mph, 16ish psi, timing 15*???(was like wth!!) 2 step 2200rpm leaving on 2psi

2nd pass 1.71, 7.11, 102.03mph, 16ish psi, timing 19.5* 1st 2nd and 16* in 3rd, 2 step set at 2400rpm leaving on 4psi NEW PB et and mph

Turns out I'm heating the air up pretty bad as I logged intake temps in the 154 in 3rd gear. I'm going to pipe the turbo inlet out side the engine bay. It may be time for a new turbo as this little 62mm is close to being done.

No 6sec pass yet but I'm working on it. It's there with a better 60' and was going to increase the 2 step setting before they told me no go. Could not log my lc-1 or the gm 3bar like I had intended` so I added a few gallons of 110 in the tank to prevent any knock in case I leaned out.

This 2 step is working like a charm so far. I have an exhaust leak so it was not building boost like it should have. I think once I get this squared away I can launch the car with 2800-3000rpm and fix the ex leak it should build boost quite nicely and leave much harder.

btw...Wondering how much power I'm making? Car weighs around 3450 with me in it. Trying to figure how much more I can push this turbo as it's rated for 700hp.

Last edited:
Yeah launch it a little better and you got a 6. Car is rollin for sure.:cool:

Tonight in the marauder at 4255lbs I ran 6.9's at 100 mph. I'm guessing about 650 hp right now. I also need to get the IAT's down. But man yours is bad if you get that hot in the 8th. I was seeing 165 in the quarter tonight 25psi. Ran a 10.98 in 1/4 on a 7.0 8th tonight.

What type of tuner/software are you using? I have mixed feelings about my SCT X3 and the guy who wrote the email tunes.

I'm using sct advantage3 software with livewire. Been there done that with email tuners. If you need tuning I recommend xr7 Dave.

Here is what it done with the iat. Looking at the log it looked like there was a little bit of heat soak.

Attachments

• iatvsrpm.png
    iatvsrpm.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 28
lol, Much better tonight! Was able to keep throttle floored the entire time. Made 2 passes before I got the BOOT! Said I need a cage but would allow me to run if I got a sfi fire jacket and wear jeans instead of shorts:eek:.

1st pass 1.77, 7.20, 100.58 mph, 16ish psi, timing 15*???(was like wth!!) 2 step 2200rpm leaving on 2psi

2nd pass 1.71, 7.11, 102.03mph, 16ish psi, timing 19.5* 1st 2nd and 16* in 3rd, 2 step set at 2400rpm leaving on 4psi NEW PB et and mph

Turns out I'm heating the air up pretty bad as I logged intake temps in the 154 in 3rd gear. I'm going to pipe the turbo inlet out side the engine bay. It may be time for a new turbo as this little 62mm is close to being done.

No 6sec pass yet but I'm working on it. It's there with a better 60' and was going to increase the 2 step setting before they told me no go. Could not log my lc-1 or the gm 3bar like I had intended` so I added a few gallons of 110 in the tank to prevent any knock in case I leaned out.

This 2 step is working like a charm so far. I have an exhaust leak so it was not building boost like it should have. I think once I get this squared away I can launch the car with 2800-3000rpm and fix the ex leak it should build boost quite nicely and leave much harder.

btw...Wondering how much power I'm making? Car weighs around 3450 with me in it. Trying to figure how much more I can push this turbo as it's rated for 700hp.

I'd put the guess at about 475rwhp and about 575 in the motor. Technically you have a lot of room left, but its not a matter of how much HP the turbo will support, it's a matter of intersecting the right amount of airflow with a boost level that is coincident with your motor. If the turbo's sweet spot is 25psi but on your motor that would equate to an airflow that is beyond the turbo's capability, then you'll never get there. Turbo's that make great power on small motors often fall short when used on bigger motors for this very reason.

I agree with Chris, those ACT's are way too high. No reason that they should be over 120 at such low boost levels. Whatever intercooler you have it's not working for you.

My kid's M90 fed motor @ 19psi doesn't get that high in the 1/4, never mind the 1/8th. With meth injection it stays below 120 the whole way down. Without it was getting to 140 in the 1/4.

I'm using sct advantage3 software with livewire. Been there done that with email tuners. If you need tuning I recommend xr7 Dave.

Here is what it done with the iat. Looking at the log it looked like there was a little bit of heat soak.

Call me stupid, but why are IAT and rpm falling off when TP is still high?

Think that's weird??? Look at this one lol (first pass)

Something is going on for sure. n2mb does tap into tps for voltage refrence. The 2 step will not come on until I reach 4v from the tps. On the way home I noticed fpdc was at 0 on the livewire screen but rail pressure was 40-45psi. As for shifting it is shifting exactly how it should so maybe the obd2 there is some wires crossed somewhere. I did wire in a gm 3 bar and lc-1 to a new firewire cable and neither of these analog outputs are reading on my livewire. lc-1 shows 7.35 constant and the 3 bar is reading 9psi of boost at -18hg/vac on the mechanical gauge.

Maf counts are skewed as well but the car never went lean. I'll just attach the log files of both runs.

Attachments

• tpsvsrpmvsspark.png
    tpsvsrpmvsspark.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 9-6-13track1.csv
    150.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 9-6-13track2.csv
    135.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back