PDA

View Full Version : Window tint - What brand? - How dark should I go?

spray_man
08-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Thinking about adding tin to my windows. What brand and tint strength do you suggest? I found a ceramic tint that looks good and is at a great sale price. It is BlackBox Alpine. Anybody have experience with that brand? What is a good brand? I am thinking 50% to 35% tint. I live in central east coast Florida - Real hot, and real sunny - :cool:

jjklongisland
08-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Are you planning on tinting it yourself? I just had mine done at 35% and I wish I would have went darker. Also the rear window is an absolute nightmare. It is so sloped that those lower corners are impossible. My rear window came out like crap and I had it done by a "professional" who does it on the side. I have used him before and he did my SUV windows but they were easy. He kept complaining the hole time on the SC and now he wont call me back.... Take my advise. Go to a shop this way if you have a problem you can bring it back.

As far as tint brand, in my opinion its all the same stuff basically. As long as you arent buying a dyed tint off ebay from china you should be fine. All the new stuff has metal in it and it doesnt fade like the old died garbage.

spray_man
08-10-2013, 08:31 AM
The tint I am thinking about is "pre-cut" - has a ceramic tint. I would prefer a real dark tint, but worry about safety, and cops targeting me. I am planning on doing it myself. I think the cutting is the most tedious part of tinting. I have tinted house windows before - I know it is not the same -. IMHO I feel better, when I mess up the job, then when I pay good money to have someone else do it.

Kurt K
08-10-2013, 09:32 AM
The compound curves of the back glass are what makes it so hard, not cutting it to size. Personally, I'm confident I could have done it myself, but I took it to a shop with a lifetime warranty. They finally had to redo the tint about 12 years after the first time they did it. Tint is better today than it was back then, so I expect the new tint to last longer.

As for how dark, check your local laws and determine how much you want to get pulled over. Here, we can do the back as dark as we want and the front doors at only 35%. Originally I stuck to the rules when my car was a daily driver, but when the tint had to be redone I went 20% all the way around since I don't drive my car very much any more. 20% makes it difficult to see while backing up, so I wouldn't go darker than that.

jjklongisland
08-10-2013, 09:42 AM
As far as pre-cut, I have done them on my SUV front windows. The problem you are going to have with the rear window is the fact that it is so larger and trying to not have it touch the rear deck lid is the hardest part. If it touches the rear deck lid it picks up the lint and it comes out like crap. If its a one piece rear window kit you definitely need two people. Clean the hell out of the window and have a heat gun to make it conform to the curves...

TbirdSCFan
08-10-2013, 03:15 PM
As far as pre-cut, I have done them on my SUV front windows. The problem you are going to have with the rear window is the fact that it is so larger and trying to not have it touch the rear deck lid is the hardest part. If it touches the rear deck lid it picks up the lint and it comes out like crap. If its a one piece rear window kit you definitely need two people. Clean the hell out of the window and have a heat gun to make it conform to the curves... This looks like such a pain, when I get around to the back window, I intend to take the rear deck out completely for reasons just like what you stated. I used a hand steamer to chisel off the old tint, will that work for installing the curve parts? Or do I need the extra power from an actual heat gun?

jjklongisland
08-10-2013, 03:18 PM
This looks like such a pain, when I get around to the back window, I intend to take the rear deck out completely for reasons just like what you stated. I used a hand steamer to chisel off the old tint, will that work for installing the curve parts? Or do I need the extra power from an actual heat gun?

I am sure a hair dryer would work. I never used a steamer. The heat gun is very fast to shrink the tint

KMT
08-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I am sure a hair dryer would work. I never used a steamer. The heat gun is very fast to shrink the tint

Didn't you just pay to have yours done?

Nando559
08-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Ive used 3M and Viper tint.

If you want dark then 2% Viper tint is the way to go. It does look to have a hint of blue in it though. It has lifetime warranty but it ran me 200 for just the back windows:eek: the SC is parked outside all the time and it has not faded or bubbled..yet.

3M comes with lifetime warranty and the darkest is 5%. I have that on my lexus and havent had any issues with it so far. It does fade a bit though after it "cures".

As for the brand you have mentioned, I've never heard of it. Do your research so you only tint once. Having to redo the rear window seems like a PAIN!

-Fernando

jjklongisland
08-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Didn't you just pay to have yours done?

Yes, and I got screwed. I had to leave before the guy finished and my back window looks like crap. I am going to have the back retinted at a better shop. I have tinted before with the precuts but didnt have the nads to tackle that back window...

S_Mazza
08-10-2013, 11:09 PM
You have to be careful with the rear window as well, because of the defroster grid. Don't cut that!

bowez
08-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Personally I would only have a professional do it and a shop that's been around awhile and offers a Lifetime Warranty. I'm needing my back window redone after over 20 years. I'd rather pay someone to take responsibility for damaging the defroster and bubbles in the tint.